Topic

Nemo Rocket 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nemo Rocket 2

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

SectionHiker.com has a (typically) thorough and concise review of a shelter I had not yet heard of.  I think Nemo deserves credit for pushing the limits, but in all honesty I see almost nothing but negatives with the design choices.

• 10d 1200mm floor
    • 7d canopy
    • Strange corner guying that requires relatively long guys
    • Futzy door zippers and vestibule zippers that snag the fabric easily
    • And a completely unfathomable t-bar support structure that goes through a hole in the middle of the floor??????

For me almost every design choice seems sub-optimal, but would love to hear from others why I am wrong.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

77” floor, lol

Can’t believe I missed that…It does have those corner struts, but Criminy!  I sleep diagonally in my Duplex :)

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I like my Nemo Hornet 1P, but this is a strange design by Nemo. It seems more like a tent designed to simply win the “lightest” award at REI. Other than the bulkiness of DCF, I’m not sure why you would buy the Rocket over the Duplex.

Regarding the hole in the floor, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Some large pyramid inner tents out there have holes in the floor for the trekking pole to go through. If you can set up a tent like this, I’d assume you can also properly select pitch sites. No hole would be better though…

I would also say that 7D and 10D materials are pushing the limits in a tent design like this, but Gossamer Gear’s “The One” and “The Two” tents use almost identically spec’d materials, and thru-hikers seem to be using them on the long trails.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Nice size – for one person. 77×40 for two ?

That t-bar pole arrangement seems rather sketchy.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

looks to me that most if not all of those 77″ are usable, so in fact I think that you will have more space than some tents with an 82-84 ” long  floor.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

My pad is 77.6” long. Still not long enough for me stretched out. I realize those over six foot are a minority but dang, I know a lot of tall backpackers.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

TAR xLite Long Wide user here…25×77.  Not gonna work in that tent.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

88” min. 100” is better.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The T structure is weird – especially since the tent also pitches with two trekking poles in the normal positions. Considering most folks will use trekking poles, it’s odd that they went to such great length and compromise (a hole in the floor?) to enable this alternative T structure.

This tent is basically a standard hexagonal tent design (e.g. GG The Two, SMD Haven, ZPacks Duplex) but with corner struts and an offset ridgeline. So kinda like a single wall TT StratoSpire since they do share a hexagonal base, offset ridgeline and the use of some corner struts.

That review really missed the mark on explaining the offset pole placement / diagonal ridgeline:
    “The two vestibule peaks are oriented at an angle from one another, presumably to help improve aerodynamics and create catenary curves (which require less material) to save fabric weight.”

There are reasons for doing this, but they have nothing to do with aerodynamics or enabling catenary curves. You could easily do catenary curves with a straight ridgeline as nearly every trekking pole tent does. Most likely Nemo did opted for the offset poles to enable larger doors, but also maybe to increase interior volume (the further apart you position the peaks, the more volume you’ll have). If they only wanted larger doors, they would have offset both peaks to the same side like the SMD Haven.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Re: the T structure.  Why not just include 2 collapsable poles and design it around those or trekking poles?  That would eliminate the floor hole and allow them to optimize the design for a single style of pitch.  Also reinforce the peaks so that you can’t so easily poke a hole with your trekking pole.

The care and thought that went into the X-Mid really shines through when you see a shelter like this.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I wonder if the peaks are designed for a trekking pole oriented handle up, but the reviewer put them tip up and thus tore a hole? I have no information on this situation, but it seems unlikely that a pole oriented handle up would immediately tear a hole, and also unlikely that the tent is designed for tip up if there is little reinforcement.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I don’t think the peaks were designed for anything other than the T pole.  Reviewer says there is no reinforcement at all to support the use of trekking poles, but that it can be done if you orient handle up.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Nemo’s website says you can optionally use trekking poles:

It’s also bizarre that they are offering a $149 DCF footprint and worse, that they are marketing that as something is “bombproof” for “gravel” and “sharp surfaces”.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

All the Rocket pictures in the review with trekking poles show them with handles up. I am still not clear how he managed to tear the fabric though.

Edit: I read his comment about setting up the tent with pole tips up causing the rip. Can’t believe someone would do that without a reinforced grommet. User error

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

That is strange he would pitch it tips up where there is no reinforcement and then be surprised when it rips. I can see why Nemo wasn’t stoked about that review.

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

40 inches wide, for two people?   They replaced the Blaze with this, what were they thinking?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

A good example of the danger of pushing light materials and light design way past their limits to drop a few ounces, also known as “Stupid Light.”
    Dan covered the issues with the floor denier being too light.
    With their Scarp, TarpTent did a much better job with carbon strut supported corners by using a hoop, rather than the wobbly T.
    Note that TT had to develop a full coverage fly. The even more partial coverage on the Rocket will develop condensation that will soak your head and feet right through a sleeping bag. Sierra Designs tried that years ago with its defunct BikeLight. You can have mine free if you pay shipping.
    Use of very low denier nylon will not stand up if it will be subject to abrasion, as with the vestibule walls, end walls and floor. The 7D might work for a much smaller fly with less exposure to the midnight ramblings of the users, their pets, etc.
    Agree with several posts that DCF would be a better choice, as despite whatever its
    shortcomings, it would last longer than nylon pushed past its limits. As far as I can tell from the clip and website, there is not even any PU used to resist abrasion.

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

What is the bikelight?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools