Topic

Needle in a haystack – the Quixote Large down pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Needle in a haystack – the Quixote Large down pillow

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kim G
    BPL Member

@limegreengecko

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I bought the Quixote large down camping/backpacking pillow over ten yrs ago. It became my favorite for everything, including air travel & chaperoning my daughters’ overnight class trips.</p>
    Over a month ago, my oldest daughter in grad school came home to pack for a mission trip to Thailand. Helping her pack, I provided her with things she’d forgotten or didn’t think about. We finished and zipped up her suitcase. In the final moments before loading up for the airport, she asked if she could borrow my beloved pillow. Of course, I said. She’s my daughter. I made her promise me that she wouldn’t lose it, and repeated myself several times.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Fast forward to her return, *without my pillow,* & I just can’t get over this. I don’t know why. She said it disappeared on a flight over China during a trip to the lav. I’ve called REI, checked Amazon, eBay, etc. and learned no one has it. I even tracked down someone who worked for the company and yup, they are not being made anymore. I am crushed.</p>
    So, I’ve joined this forum hoping that someone out there might have one packed away somewhere that they’d be willing to sell. Maybe it was given as a gift but never used and it’s stuffed into the back corner of someone’s closet.

If you have one and you’re willing to sell it please contact me. Thanks for your time.

With appreciation,

kim

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Did you try eBay?

The pillows were made my Quixote Design (www.quixotedesign.com) which might have discontinued operations.  I own one and am holding on to it.

Cheers

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

from Manta.com. Don’t know if it is current.
    Quixote Design, Inc
    4033 Aurora Avenue North Floor 2
    Seattle, WA 98103
    Phone: (206) 545-9555

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Since you seem pretty desperate, I bet you could find someone to make one for you fairly easily.  This is what you are looking for?:  https://www.rei.com/product/766380/quixote-goose-down-pillow-large

3 pieces of ripstop polyester microfiber (front, back, and pocket) and 13 ounces of 650 fill down.  I’m not a sewer but it doesn’t seem like a very complex project.  I wonder if the 22″ x 18″ is the unstuffed or the stuffed dimensions?

edit: actually I’m guessing you only use two pieces of ripstop.  The one is just a bit longer and folded over.

edit #2:  These guys might be able to help you out: https://goosefeetgear.com/products/down-pillows/

They make down pillows and are open to doing custom work.  I’ve never done business with them, but have heard good reviews on these forums.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Years ago I made my own down pillow from a medium silnylon stuff sack recycling the down out of an old jacket. 4 ounces or so. Very comfortable and warm. Encased and cradled my entire head. options.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

How does a down pillow work? I’d think down would be way too compressible for a pillow.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They work great if you use low fill power down and cram it in there. 4oz of 800 fill will flatten like a pancake. But I can see 14oz of 650 fill being a plump fairly firm pillow.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I overstuffed my pillow initially with down, but due to the high loft of it (uncomfortable to sleep on) I took a significant amount of it out. Ending weight resulted to about 4oz. And yes, it did compress. It was glorious. I was using it while in a hammock so that may have been some of the reason why it worked out so well. YMMV.

Kim G
    BPL Member

@limegreengecko

Yes, I’ve searched and searched. I went further than most would go in that I located one of the former executives at Quixote. My husband contacted him. The company is now obsolete. The guy was extremely nice – he sold my husband an extra pillow he had and my husband surprised me. I feel so ungrateful; the pillow doesn’t feel the same, though it’s not bad. I came to learn this is the primaloft model. I don’t think this very kind gentleman had a down one.

I’m a pretty content person. I don’t need or want much. But in the rare event I love something, I’m persistent in trying to find it.

Thanks all for the ideas.

kim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools