Topic

Need suggestions for beginning backpacking trip for family

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Need suggestions for beginning backpacking trip for family

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tom V
    BPL Member

@rockbox

My kids are 9 and 13 and I want to take them backpacking. I want to take them to the mountains since we live in relatively flat Texas. I’m looking for a trail that is beautiful but doesn’t have a lot of elevation gain. I don’t want to torture them with a steep hike and turn them off to backpacking forever. I need suggestions.

Rachel P
    BPL Member

@ponyespresso

I haven’t done these with my 6-year-old yet but I’m determined to go backpacking once this summer as a family. I’ve been mulling over where to go and what hikes meet my criteria. My criteria are: short mileage (4 miles or less one way), little elevation gain (less than 500 feet), and water at the campsite. The trips are all in New Mexico because that’s where I live — but might be the closest mountains to you in Texas. The elevation is pretty high for these hikes but you probably know that already.

Mora Flats in the Pecos Wilderness (Sangre de Cristo Mountains) (near Santa Fe).

San Pedro Parks wilderness in the Jemez Mountains (near Cuba, NM)

Valle Vidal (Ponil creek or La Belle Lodge hikes are two examples — no real hiking trails but you can just walk cross country along creeks or through the meadows)

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

This may be pushing it for an “easy” trip, but if you want spectacular, the Teton Crest Trail fits the bill. I did this with my wife and my oldest two sons who were 9 and 11 at the time (however both had been on several shorter trips prior to this one). Take the tram at the ski resort to start and avoid the big climb up to the crest. We hiked 5-7 miles per day and pretty minimal up and down. Big views, beautiful mountains, and tons of wildlife. Downside is a short hiking season and the need for permits, but it was great for my family, and has motivated my boys to tackle the JMT with me this year.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They haven’t been backpacking yet at 9&13? Your question is pretty vague.

How far do you want travel. How long. What time of year, etc… All little things that would help narrow things down.

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

I suggest the Lost Creek Wilderness in Colorado.  It’s reasonably accessible from Denver or Colorado Springs (~1.5 hours) and offers something of a mountain experience while being relatively low (easier transition for non-Coloradans).  There are trout in the Goose Creek, lots of rocks for the family to explore and a multitude of variations to accommodate how much time/effort the family has.  Some of the area is more heavily trafficked than others but still a favorite for many.  FWIW…

Tom V
    BPL Member

@rockbox

The kids camp a lot but they have not backpacked. I am pretty open on time of the year and location. Flying there is definitely an option. I was hoping 4-5 days in the woods not including travel and altitude acclimation time. I think 4-5 miles a day is ideal assuming the elevation gain is reasonable for a 9 year old.

daved brosche
    BPL Member

@travelgearblog-2

Eagle Creek Trail in OR is amazing, has some elevation gain but you would never know it.

Great for kids because….

• easy out if something goes wrong and lots of day hikers in the first 2 miles
    • 10+ water falls along side the trail
    • Lots of water
    • Get to walk in a tunnel behind a HUGE waterfall.
    • Can be a 1 to 3 night trip.

PM me if you want more details.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

Great that you’re taking your kids out to backpack. Truly a wonderful gift to give them, and hopefully, future generations.

Having done several with my kids from an early age, a few suggestions. Try an overnight or a weekend that is closer to home and low mileage and “low stakes” first.  That way they can learn about how to carry their packs, what works for them, interact with each other and the group, share chores/camp tasks, maybe face a bit of adversity. Also get them involved in some of the planning. maybe have them brain storm with you the dinner or come to the store to pick out the snacks.  This will get them invested and, over time, they’ll start asking about maps, routes, bears, first aid, etc.

Both my ‘kids’ have now gone on their college orientation backpacking trips and they were amazed at their own backpacking knowledge (or the ignorance of others) despite the fact that neither of them consider themselves “outdoorsy”.  Enjoy it.

Here’s a photo of my kids on one of their first trips in the sierras. They carried all their clothes and sleeping bags and whatever else they wanted (stuffed animal for my daughter, favorite blanket for my son).  My wife and I carried their tent, food, kitchen, etc.

here they are in the white mountains on a hut to hut trip.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Given the ages of your kids, and since it sounds like you are open to flying to a destination, perhaps they can help you plan the trip?

And wherever you go, I highly recommend hiking in an area where you might have several trail options to either lengthen or shorten the mileage. The difference between ages 9 and 13 can be substantial. You want a trip that will not be overwhelming for the younger one while not boring the older one.

And as mentioned above, waterfalls are ALWAYS an awesome venue for the kids – especially if the water itself is user friendly.

Finally, check the post trip reports forum. Many of us BPL’ers have posted numerous family trips in there over the years. You can get some great ideas & you could probably PM the posters for more info, if they’re still a BPL member.

When the kids are brought up camping and hiking in a good & gentile way, they’ll get hooked.

James I
    BPL Member

@racerx00

Everyone here is giving great advice. I wish I knew the trails near you to make a suggestion. For the first time trekking out to a location and camping I definitely recommend taking a route that someone else has already done with a family and suggesting. Proper planning is key and making sure you stay within their limits.

I brought my kids out the first time on the AT and had planned to park at a place that had access closed and needed to park 2 more miles away when we got there. Kids were having the time of their lives up until the last 20 minutes when it devolved into an uncomfortable hell for all involved and those are memories that stick out in children’s minds even more than the positive experiences. Be conservative or risk setting yourselves way back.

I’d also say you should take general recommendations for children with a grain of salt and be realistic. My son is 8 and general wisdom says he can go 8 miles but I know with any elevation involved if I take him to anything over 4 it’s danger zone and this is a kid who loves nature.

Know your kids interests too and try and provide activities for them. 13 is a bit older than mine but we do scavenger hunts, compass games to brush up on map skills, make hikes end in cool destinations like caves. Sometimes it’s those little things that make all the difference.

Do you have any clubs around you? The AMC here in the Northeast is great for families entering the hobby and provide guided group trips for free (if you have paid membership). Kids get more motivated with other kids around and you’re with guides and other families that will impart to you knowledge that can be very costly to gain with personal experience. Might be worth checking out.

Bottom line is every parent who does this wants to build a foundation that gives their children the opportunity to bring this passion into adulthood if they have the interest. If you push too hard, too early you could turn a young hiker off before they ever even get started. Start slow and you’ll understand your limits and abilities REAL fast.

James I
    BPL Member

@racerx00

Let me also add from personal experience that I know I planned and cancelled like a dozen trips for their first non-car overnighter. You do need to just get out there at the same time even though you do need to take it slow as much of an oxy-moron that is. I find it helpful with the kids to go out on a solo overnighter first to make sure I understand the terrain when possible. I can very quickly asses things like, “yeah, there’s no way they’re doing all these hills that don’t show up on the topo” and head off an exhausting disaster or even, “this was way to easy and will be boring, need to find something different.”

Truth be told I just love being out there and I get to use it as an excuse to be out on the trails. If you don’t have the same desire that strategy is probably undo able over the long run hehe.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

re Eagle Creek suggestion. It’s on fire, so maybe not.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools