Topic

Need Quilt Head Insulation Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need Quilt Head Insulation Recommendations

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    BPL Member

@vtme09

I just bought my first down quilt!  20 deg HG Econ Burrow.  Now how do I keep my head warm?

I’ve been looking at the EE Hoodlum and MLD Apex Balaclava.  What other lightweight options are there suitable for 20 degrees?

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Also Black Rock Gear.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

one thing good about Apex, is that if it gets wet from your breath it will continue to function, down may lose loft.  If it’s really really cold maybe down would be better.

Chris
    BPL Member

@vtme09

I am leaning towards Apex for the condensation reason.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My wife and I have the Z-packs hoods, and love them. What a huge difference they make, Much better than a mummy bag. Note: We don’t use quilts, but our sleeping bags have no hoods (I have a Western Mountaineering Alder MF bag: no hood).

Goosefeet makes the hood for Z-packs (I believe).

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If you camp in shoulder season, then consider getting both an EE Hoodlum synthetic balaclava and the Goosefeet(Zpacks) down hood. In summer the down hood is all you likely will need for sleeping or sitting around in camp. In shoulder season, you can wear the Hoodlum over the down hood for sleeping. You can also wear the Hoodlum while hiking if it’s chilly – it works great for this.

Lorenzo M
    BPL Member

@enzo

If you carry a puffy with a hood I’d wear that unless its really cold.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As Lorenzo said, if you carry a hooded puffy then there is your answer.  You can wrap any insulation piece you are not wearing around your head as well.

I have opted for a modular approach.  Since I always pack a beanie for around camp in cold weather, I use a combination of 1 or more of Cap4 beanie, windstopper fleece beanie and Cap4 balaclava, mixing and matching as the weather dictates.  Combined with my puffy’s hood, I’ve never felt the need for dedicated sleep headwear.

Chris
    BPL Member

@vtme09

Maybe I should have gotten a 30 degree quilt and planned on wearing the puffy when a beanie isn’t warm enough.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Katabatic also makes a down one or two from memory

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Maybe I should have gotten a 30 degree quilt and planned on wearing the puffy when a beanie isn’t warm enough.

I’m not saying that he is correct, but Glen Van Peski of Gossamer Gear is quoted as saying “If you aren’t wearing all of your clothes to bed, you packed too many clothes”.  There *is* some truth in that :)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For around 10 years my puffy had no hood.  I carried a polar buff and a down balaclava from downworks which is similar to the goosefeet mentioned above. This allowed me a variety of configurations at the cost of looked pretty funny.  My wife claims I look a bit like a character from teletubbies. When I switched to a hooded puffy, I typically left the balaclava at home and just wore the hoody to bed which has worked reasonably well, but is not as flexible as a separate balaclava.  Most any of the options above would work.

–mark

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

How do you like the Down Works balaclava? I am considering picking one up.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I found it well made.  It also seems to loft up really nicely.  There are some products I have use which seem to loft more than mere specs would suggest.  I have found this western mountaineering bags, and with my baclava.

other than looking funny :) it’s been very functional. I particularly like the extra length which stayed tucked in, even when I was using it with a fairly wide-necked vest.  nick and shelley are really nice folk who I like supporting.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Like Mark Verber I like flexibility of a separate hood and jacket.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools