Topic

Need help finding a 1/4 zip hooded fleece pullover

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help finding a 1/4 zip hooded fleece pullover

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Im trying to find a 1/4 zip fleece hoody made from a classic 100 fleece like the North Face TKA. I have a NF TKA without a hood and have grown to love it over the years. The only thing that would make it better would be a hood. Anyone know if there is still a company out there that makes something like this? In the search to find a perfect hooded fleece I have tried the Patagonia cap 4 hoody and the R1 hoody. I like the cap 4 ok but really dislike the R1’s fit ( to tight in the arms and I’m not ripped). At this point the only grid Im willing to try is the Melanzana hoody but Im sick of waiting on them. I really do not want grid fleece at this point just old school cozy fleece. Just incase someone finds on Im a mens XL.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I have the Pat.Cap 4 (now Thermal weight) and like it very much. My R1 experience is that I overheat in that bugger. I would need to be sub zero Celcius to wear it. In SE Australia for most of my walking it’s not needed.

I went to long zip and stand collar White Sierra -Amazon Baz AZ which is my go to top now over very thin merino-about 220 grams all up for a medium-this is a brilliant top. Works over such a wide range of temps. When you hold it in your hand feels like nothing. Highly recommended. Non Grid

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mountain Hardwear makes a full-zip microchip hoody; their listing is for 4.8 oz, but that seems too light.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-microchill-lite-full-zip-hoody-1708041.html?cgid=mens-tops-fleece&dwvar_1708041_variationColor=010

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

It might not be what you are looking for, but Patagonia makes a Micro D Pullover in Polartec 100 Classic. It’s a casual hooded sweatshirt style cut.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like my Melanzana vest which is the hardface fleece stuff but the gridstop hoody is definitely not an equal to the TNF TKA quarter zip which I love too. The Melly  gridstop has a wonderful hood design but the fabric is nowhere near as warm – wind blows right through it. There’s been discussion here about gridstop fleece lately but I wasn’t interested enough to track the details.

Anyhow if you find something similar to a TKA with a hood I’d be very interested to know more about it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This is the closest I could find, but it’s a full zip, not a half zip.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Here’s another full zip from Europe.

And this at Macy’s.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I own several of exactly what you are looking for but unfortunately for you  they only seem to make them for women, they are made by  Sherpa Adventure Gear  and have made them for a number of years, I remember several years ago a male poster on here had seen one by  S.A.H. and wanted one in mens but  couldn’t find any  by any company.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

in 2012 they made the Sherpa Adventure Gear Namche Microfleece 1/2 Zip Hoodie – Women and then more recently they made the Sherpa Adventure Gear Women’s Karma Hoodie that can still be bought at Amazon ect. but I was able to get them as low as $14 on clearance(not that it helps you unless you are very small and could fit into the women’s sizes)

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

The Mtn Hardware full-zip microchill hoody actually weighs about 8-9 oz. I have it, love it.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Thanks guys, I’ve been reading all the comments and I feel like its my search history on my computer. Sounds like unless i could fit into a woman size (not likely) There’s nothing like this available. Very weird I would think it would be a pretty good seller. I did buy a Marmot full zip fleece earlier this winter with a comparable fleece material to the TKA but its cut funny and it’s heavier than it needs to be. I guess I’ll just cross my fingers and hope one day i’ll find something like it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

This could be the one…. xl in two of the colors.

It’s a quarter button instead of zip, but you could easily get someone to take out the buttons and put in a zipper if the zipper was important. And less than $40.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

I’m another very satisfied MH Microchill Hoody user.  I bought mine after seeing some positive reviews on this forum.  It is perfect for my needs, quite warm for the weight, and fits me well.  It is one of my very favorite layering pieces for winter backpacking, and also gets a lot of everyday use.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Doug, I ordered one. That looks like a great option. Fingers crossed.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Yeah, I ordered one too. At that price it was too good to pass up.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Doug,

You’re Google-Fu is very strong….Good find.

Ryan

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Columbia hoody is 15 ounces on my scale. Similar cut to my TKA, maybe slightly thinner. The hood is maybe kinda big. I don’t mind the snaps at all and the chest pocket is a welcome addition. I’m keeping it and am looking forward to having a cheap beater fleece hoody that I don’t feel like I have to baby. In addition to the warmth of the TKA, I’ve always appreciated that it is an inexpensive piece. I’ve got a deadbird fleece that I don’t take backpacking because it cost $LOL (and it looks nice in town).

Anyhow thanks for finding this one, Doug.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Whoa. I just weighed the TKA. It’s 8 ounces. I didn’t realize it was that light. That changes things…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools