Topic

Necchi BU available in Bay Area—needs work

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Necchi BU available in Bay Area—needs work

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I started looking into buying a used all-metal sewing machine last night and I’m hot on the trail.

FYI, I just found one in Martinez, CA on Facebook Marketplace: a Necchi BU (like Ken T’s) for $35. Not in good shape, might need parts: message seller for details.

I’d have taken it but it only comes with the matching table. I can’t fit that table in my car or in my apartment.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Solid little machine.  I’ve since sold mine and now have two Singers

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Ken, I guess I’m following in your footsteps—I just won an eBay auction for a (rust-spotted, unknown condition) Singer 403a for $31 + $15 shipping. It should be here in a week.

Prices are high in quarantine times—everyone is sewing, I guess. This one is from a Goodwill store in San Francisco.

I’m excited—it’s my first old, metal machine. I’ve done a couple of projects in the last few years on my (bought new in 1985 but mostly in the closet) plastic Kenmore 158.17891.

May the restoration project begin!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Ken—What model Singers do you have?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Let’s try again

I picked up a rare 193? German made treadle 15. First model with reverse. That factory was raided by the Russians.

And a 1948 one owner 201 that I put in a Singer desk from the Sixties

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Wow, you’re going for the really old stuff. They look sharp though.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Ken,  do you have preference between the 15-90 and the 201?  I’ve read a number of reviews but would be interested in what you think.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Jason, the bobbin is easier to change on the 201. The 15 is a real workhorse. I enjoy them both.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools