Topic

MYOG Weight Savings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Weight Savings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

REI sent me an e-mail/ad the other day for their Mystery Ranch Terraframe 3 50 backpack.  I couldn’t help notice that its capacity, comfort and function is comparable to my MYOG backpack.

The Mystery Ranch Terraframe 3 50 (Binford 5000?) weighs 5 lbs.  My backpack weighs 14 ounces.

This is one area where I’ve saved a lot of weight by making my own gear.

https://www.rei.com/product/129648/mystery-ranch-terraframe-3-zip-50-pack-mens

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Does your homemade pack have a frame?

I will admit that making my own gear doesn’t always have to do with making lighter gear. I enjoy the self-sufficiency of it and I also just enjoy having a creative project and something unique that nobody else has.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Diane,

Yes my pack has a frame that transfers all the pack weight to the padded waist belt.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

That’s pretty cool and quite a weight savings. Your pack is in the ballpark of other frameless UL packs but it has a frame.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

14 ounces is pretty light considering your pack has a frame. What main materials did you use – 30 D silnylon or something similar?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Lester,

I typically use uncoated ripstop nylon weighing around 1.9 ounce per square yard for the pack bag.

I like uncoated because I can remove the  bag and run it through the washer & dryer between trips.  I rely on internal plastic bags (e.g. trash compactor bags) for those items that must stay dry.

I’ve made bags of various weights, including below 1 ounce per square yard.  The lighter weights get some pin holes but there have been no rips or structural failures of the material.  The sweet spot for durability seems to be around 2 ounces per square yard.  I don’t drag my packs over granite.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

MYOG stuff is excellent, generally. Does it cost less? No. By the time all materials are purchased, and, any losses in prototyping, you are usually spending the same or more dollars.

The simple satisfaction is a big bonus.
    The knowledge you acquire along the way means a lot. Often not limited to a single project.
    And, if done correctly, as Daryl (and his other) shows, results are often MORE than what you could buy. Or less in this case:)
    Exploring the limits of What You Need/What Works/What is just “manufacturing” shortcuts is a challenge to any lightweight philosophy, as he shows quite nicely.

Well done! Daryl has posted here before, and his pack has been around for several years. I would request you write it up along with any construction details, Daryl. I, for one, would be interested in seeing this. I generally use a sleeping pad as a frame, but that is only one way. A great pack, sir!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools