Topic

MYOG Tramplite/Deschute Inner Debate

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Tramplite/Deschute Inner Debate

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

A sweet looking shelter!

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

Looks great! So you decided to put the panel pullouts on the sides instead of the 2 back panels?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Yea, so I kind of just sat inside and pushed outward on the panels to get an idea of the effect. When pushing on the rear panels, it dramatically reduced the foot and head space because it pulled the two side panels a little more diagonal instead of parallel to one another. No way was I goin to carry enough stake to do panels ties on all four panels and head and foot room was my top priority so I put them on the side panels despite them not being the largest panels.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

WOW!!!!  Hoosier, that is EXACTLY the tent I want to make!!!!!!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Looking nice! I like the big door. I can imagine hanging out comfortably in it with the door open to the ground.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

FYI I have listed this tent for sale on gear swap in case anyone is interested.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Why are you selling it?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Trust me, I don’t want to but we’re buying a house and going to try for a second child so I won’t have any time until next year and I hate to have this sitting around. I made really nice wood templates off my measurements so this was somewhat of a prototype. Now that I know it worked out perfectly, I can easily make another on when I’m ready. I was actually considering starting a small gear company and just making things to sell on nights and weekends so this tent was intended to be one of those products. I made and tested it for one night and know the design works now so I can make them at will having nice templates made.

Cory ONeill
    Spectator

@cjoneill

Locale: Central Oregon

Great project!  Thank you for all of the specifics, details. and photos.  A real DIY masterpiece!

Quick question.  You mention that you make your own Cuben Fiber tape…wondering how you do this.  I’ve purchased the double sided tape from Zpacks, and single sided from Quest outfitters, but I’d be interested to know a cheaper way.  Each of those were very expensive!

Thanks!

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks! @cjoneill

I just used a quality double sided tape, the stuff sold from Zpacks, quest, ripstopbytheroll, etc is fine. Then, make sure you have a straight edge on your piece of cuben, and lay down a length of the double sided tape. Once it’s down, a razor blade will glide along the edge of the paper on the tape so you can cut straight down it and end up with a nice clean strip of single sided cuben tape. Let me know if that doesn’t make sense and I could try to make a video. Good luck!

In summary, a strip of double sided tape laid down onto cuben then the whole thing cut off = single sided cuben tape (like Zpacks sells, pretty sure this is what they do)

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Hey all, hoping to track down the person who currently owns this. We exchanged messages a few years back and I must have deleted them. I would love to buy this back if it’s still in existence.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

That’s me.  I bought it, and it has been stored since we exchanged messages.  I am interested in selling it.  I just sent you a PM.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Hoosier T,  Great that you could recover your masterpiece.  Just one question:  With the bathtub floor and other additions, what does the weight come to.  Thanks, if you have the time.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I can answer this for you.  I hope Hoosier sees this thread has been responded to.  But I have not heard for him.  In the meantime, I put it on my scale, and it shows the weight at 23.3 ounces.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Victor J,

Thank you so much.  Am working on a double wall free stander with flexible carbon poles and a goal of 24-28 oz.  That gives me some confidence that all will not be in vain.  One thing for sure: it will pack up a lot smaller because it is silpoly, not DCF.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I’m here! Hey crew, been a super long time. Once I went to a light weight hammock and tarp I never looked back. It was bittersweet as I lost the need to explore MYOG but man this setup is just amazing. However, with the possibility of doing the JMT in the bearish future I’m gonna need a tent. I now have three kids and really don’t have time to make another and I honestly don’t think I could improve on my original which is crazy to say of a prototype.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools