Topic

MYOG Shoulder Strap Pouch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Shoulder Strap Pouch

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Monique Schaefers
    BPL Member

@moniquews

Locale: PNW

I am getting ready to sew up my first backpack.  I would like to include a mesh shoulder strap pouch.  It could be sewn directly to the strap or as an add on/take off.  The purpose of the pouch is to carry my inReach satellite device.  Another use (other strap) might be to carry some snacks.

Anyone have a pattern or ideas or suggestions?  I have been searching and not finding.  Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I tried an inReach on my ULA Ohm shoulder strap and found it to be awkward when putting the pack on or taking it off.

If you have tested this and it works for you, that’s great. If you haven’t I suggest duck tapping to an existing pack to confirm it will work as desired.

Mine gets clipped to a compression cord near the top.

Monique Schaefers
    BPL Member

@moniquews

Thank you for the input!

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I clip mine to my sternum strap.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I too would like to add shoulder strap pouches. I like the design used on the Simple Pack by Pa’Lante, which uses a stretchy mesh material. Anyone have a bit of stretchy material that would work well and that you’d be willing to sell? Or know what material to use and where to buy it? I hope I am no hijacking this thread; I think anyone who wants to add shoulder pouches should consider this design.

Monique Schaefers
    BPL Member

@moniquews

Not hijacking at all!  :-)

Rainshed and Quest Outfitters both have similar lycra mesh and elastic for the top edge.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you want a really easy way to test-drive the concept, buy a pair of tights or a stretchy top at a thrift store and cut a 6-inch segment out of a leg/sleeve.  Slide the whole thing over the shoulder strap, secure it with a few stitches and sew the bottom closed.

There’s a pocket height for each device that holds it securely but let’s you grab it easily – perhaps by the antenna.  Make the pocket a bit long, add some padding at the bottom until you like it, and then trim and sew up the bottom.

I like stretchy mesh on the lower sides of my pack for holding water bottles within easy reach.  For shoulder strap pockets, I prefer solid fabrics with elastic at the top.  Then the fabric doesn’t snag the buttons/knobs/clips on your device and the fabric doesn’t get snagged by branches as much.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The rectangular cross section of the Inreach keeps it flat and snug against a shoulder strap that has any amount of stiffness to it (padded). A fixed loop to clip the Inreach through combined with a loop of shock chord a little lower will hold an Inreach very well. I prefer shoulder pouches for tiny frequently used stuff like sunblock, water treatment drops, gloves, hat, snack bar, etc. Removable pouches have an advantage that you can position higher or lower to your liking and use them on multiple packs.

Brendan West
    BPL Member

@bderw

Locale: Northeast Pennsylvania

I’m looking to replicate the Pa’lante pockets as well, and am seriously considering buying a pair of Lycra arm warmers, snipping them down to size, threading the strap through them and running a line of stitching down the back and across the entire bottom. A benefit, I have an original GG Gorilla, with the uber-wide straps you can stuff socks in as padding, so I’m not worried about them being loose with small things in them. But I’ll have to see!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made a pocket for my GPS

Just used the same material as the pack

Just an open topped pocket.  Sewed to the strap on the sides.  The bottom is open so stuff falls through.

Stretchy material would be good to accommodate different sized instruments.  Non stretchy material maybe better if you’re making it for a particular unit.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

Not an MYOG solution, but I looked around for a big mesh shoulder strap and settled on a Zimmerbuilt water bottle holder. Maybe you can refer to the design?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Another vote for the Palante setup. Heavy stretch material is nice.

That said, I’ve always carried my InReach clipped to my sternum strap and with a short leash to a D-ring or daisy chain. I do pop the InReach off of the strap when I’m taking my pack off and let it hang by the leash.

I’ve also found the top strap on my ULA packs works well as an attachment point that is totally out of the way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools