Topic

MYOG pack 5…A little different

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG pack 5…A little different

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lance H
    BPL Member

@hikehikehut

This pack is not a backpacking back, not super light, but thought you guys might like it.  For my fifth pack I wanted to try something a little different.  when I travel by plane I often bring a pack as my luggage.  As I do while backpacking, I travel light and do not take much. However the pack I bring on planes is not technical enough and a bit too heavy for hiking around once at my destination, so I bring a second one.  I wanted to make one pack that would be sturdy enough and small enough to legally fit under the plane seat but also light and technical enough for my hiking once I arrive.  This was my end result

17oz with everything 13 oz without pocket and hip belt

17x10x4ish

Removable pocket can slide over hip belt to act as belly pocket or side pocket via hoops in the back.  Pocket can also connect to removable hip belt via slik clips to act as fanny/belly pack when full pack is not needed.

Myriad fabrics

robic 420d

HyperD300

210d HDPE

Hex70

duraweave mesh

lycra mesh

John E
    BPL Member

@johneppen

That is awesome. How many hours do you think that took?

Lance H
    BPL Member

@hikehikehut

Thanks.

A bit embarrassed to say but the breakdown is probably:

• 20 hours of sketching out ideas over many months
    • 5 hours of  drawing and cutting templates
    • 2 hours of cutting materials (my hot knife takes a while through thick material)
    • 20 hours of sewing and resewing

I had all of the materials from previous builds so I didn’t pay anything more for mats.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice looking pack, well done, good pictures

Myriad fabric because you had a bunch of leftover pieces?  Good idea

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Nice looking and functional travel pack. The gray and black go well together and the splash or orange is an aesthetic highlight color.

Taylor_At_DP
    BPL Member

@seacraft32-2

Locale: New England

Lance,

Nice pack. I think the design criteria for your pack interest a lot of people. I, for one, am looking for a pack that is exactly as you have designed. Robust enough for travel yet technical. Nice one.

Cheers,

Taylor

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nice job Lance. Let us know how it works out for you.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I love this Lance!

My commuting pack, which started out as a daypack on my top rack for a massive cycle tour in 2010-11, is getting towards its end. Its a packsafe bag. The bag itself is going pretty great really with various wear points, some heavy, but would be functional for a few more years, would keep going but the zip is towards the end and will be a pain to replace.. Its completely non water resistant which can be annoying in winter. Its also not ideal for running with, could be much lighter (the fabric has security mesh through it!) and has no expandability for trails. No hipbelt.

This has inspired me to start thinking about making one myself with the features I want :-) Sizing for airline underseats is a great idea!

Lance H
    BPL Member

@hikehikehut

@retiredjerry Myriad pieces really because I liked the way they all came together, because I had them on hand, and I have been trying to challenge myself design and complexity wise by layering different materials.  Thanks for the nice words.

@satori
    Thanks for the compliment.  Having fun challenging a more artistic side of my brain I rarely use.  Can be frustrating too.  This pack tried my patience often.

@seacraft32-2
    Thanks.  It was fun making something slightly out of the box.

@idester-2-2 will do, have a couple trips coming up where I plan on taking this as my only luggage/pack.

@oysters
    Do It!  it really has expanded my horizons about thinking about what I really want out of a pack.  My goal was to make a pack, shelter, and quilt before hiking season started.  I had that all done by December so now im just having fun sewing every night and learning. Started designing one tonight for my wife to give her for our anniversary.  I let her pick out the colors and then will “surprise” her with the pack.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Awesome all around.  Making packs like that takes a ton of work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools