Topic

MYOG ergonomic throw bag for bear rope

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG ergonomic throw bag for bear rope

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Oxnard
    Spectator

@danieloxnard

Locale: Appalachia

I got a new to me exofficio fishing vest from eBay today and converted the Tyvek packaging to a throw bag.

I reinforced the seams and point with Tyvek tape, after cutting was done.

I made a butyl rubber-band to tie of the throw-bag, and keep my rope in it.

I really like the spear tip end. Practiced today and it arced beautifully!

Weighs 0.2 oz., which could easily be reduced by reducing radius.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Why have I not used that super simple string method to produce accurate curves? omg mind blown!

Nice use of materials! What kind of tyvek tape are you using?

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

The problem with the string method is that you have to work hard to keep the pen vertical and for larger diameters the string can stretch. I’ve found using a strip of card or even better a strip of plastic packaging with a map pin at one end and a hole for the pen tip at the other is a more reliable method. Plus you can mark out your holes for a variety of sizes.

The trick is to not forget where you carefully stored it for next time!

Amber
    BPL Member

@amberg

I’m so going to make one of those. I’ve been tying straight to a rock or stick and it doesn’t exactly…work out well most of the time 🙄

Daniel Oxnard
    Spectator

@danieloxnard

Locale: Appalachia

@eblanche

Tyvek tape from Lowes.

I made a 5.5, 7, and 9 inch radius bag, I am pretty sure the 9 is too big.

Tossed around in the yard today, and found that if small pebbles are in cone first that it arcs a bit better.

I will try them out this weekend in Clifty Wilderness, and put radius that works best.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I’ve had this throw bag for about a year now, still going strong. Sewn through and taped with DCF tape. 3.5″x4.5″ 0.15 oz. Doubles as a stuff sack for my NitecoreNU25 when not in use.

Also made one for my Chainsen spikes, sewn through and DCF tape. Several years old. 6″x7.5″ 0.45 oz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools