Topic

MYOG Down Pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Down Pillow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

I was looking for a basic sewing project for more practice and thought I could make an awesome pillow pretty easily.

I was looking at creating a down Pillow with 850 down inside so I can compress it nice and small to pack it. But I am worried this great comprehensibility would also make it a bad pillow because my head would float to the bottom throughout the night….

If I do go through with this what kind of fabric would you recommend for the outside? I am looking at this for a strong lite and soft fabric from ripstop:

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/breathable-calendered-fabrics/products/1-6-oz-calendered-hyperd?variant=25185118081

Open to other suggestions because I am not fabric guru.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I think you hit the nail on the head with your concern about compression.

I have a bag of synthetic scraps here that I am saving for a pillow project but I would never contemplate using high fill power down; I have how-ever thought about mixing the scraps with some old down salvaged from a 30YO sleeping bag and using the combination.

If I do make it I’ll be making it in the tubular bolster style to simply give some neck support and that mainly because i have a long skinny stuff sack surplus to requirements

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Tried a down pillow. As useful as not having one. Might be nice as a topper. You will definitely need something for support if a side sleeper.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I’ve used a lot of down pillows and they just dont work for me. I think my head is too fat. If you’re really sold on using down, stick with the really cheap stuff like 550fp duck down or something similar. Otherwise, stick with some synthetic insulation or polyester pillow fill from JoAnn’s.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Concur…down pillows are darn near useless as a pillow :)

What about making a pillow case whose top side is double layer containing the down?  Slip in your inflatable pillow of choice (Big Sky?).  Best of both worlds…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools