- Jul 1, 2017 at 12:53 pm #3476573
Spencer ABPL Member
See next postJul 1, 2017 at 12:53 pm #3476574
Spencer ABPL Member
This project is my first foray into MYOG. The plan started out simple enough. I was going to make a basic tarp and envelope-style bivy with cheap materials to hone my sewing skills, then move on to a pack. Quickly though, my dives into the depths of these forums yielded inspiration for more complex modifications to the bivy design until eventually, this was the result:
All materials are from RipstopbytheRoll:
– 1.1 oz. (1.3 finished) silpoly XL seconds for the bottom
– 1.0 oz. HyperD for the top
– 0.9 oz. noseeum mesh
– 3/8 in. grosgrain
– 1.5mm drawcord
– Gutermann Mara 70 (used with a size 14 needle I already had)
– #3 zipper with double sided slider
– total cost was $57 which included material for making a tarp
– 3D half-moon footbox
– 3D triangular headbox for wind shedding
– Long center zip
– 84″ long (~74″ usable due to the triangular head area)
– 70″ wide at the shoulders, tapering to about 50″ in the legs
– footbox circumference is roughly 56″
– grosgrain tieout is attached to HyperD, not mesh
– 5.5 oz.
I based some of the design off of Lance M’s bivy project, particularly the center mesh. Only once I had started sewing did I learn of the new EE Recon bivy which is probably the closest comparison. Construction was very difficult, which is why it took about three weeks. I probably made every newbie sewing error out there, but none of the errors affected its functionality, given that bivies are low-stress items. With the exception of one French seam, all seams were flat felled, though the second stitch sometimes went through three layers of fabric and other times through four depending on where the seam was (I didn’t assemble the bivy in the most logical order so I had to be creative at times to get the fabric into the sewing machine).
Overall, with one major exception, I’m really happy with how it came out. Unfortunately, the excellent weight came at the cost of interior space. Mistakes and large seam allowances shrunk the dimensions. I’m 5’11” 150lbs and with an Exped Airmat Hyperlight (2.5″ inches high, I believe) and a 32 degree mummy bag, the bivy was too tight for me to fit. With a Ridgerest and a 32 degree bag, however, I was able to fit, snugly, but comfortably. I suspect that this bivy would be ideal for someone under 5’10” who uses a CCF pad and a 30+ degree quilt. If anyone is interested, I’ll be posting this on Gear Swap shortly.
Next up is version 2.0 with a 10d top fabric, 0.7 oz. noseeum, and larger dimensions
(I’m also almost finished with a tarp, but it’s pretty boring. Tapered, about 9′ long, 5’8″ wide at head, 4.5′ at foot, no ridgeline because the silpoly is 70″ wide. I might post some pictures tomorrow when it’s finished)
That was my first stitch. Luckily, it’s well hidden within the seam :)
Jul 1, 2017 at 8:26 pm #3476633
Basalt GearBPL Member
@basaltLocale: Missouri USA
Spencer, this is great! Thank you for posting this. I’m beginning a bit behind you in both sewing skills and development of design, but like you, I recently saw and got interested in the EE Recon bivy. When the time comes please post any materials and pattern info you are willing to share. I’m definitely going to adopting most of your design based on what you have posted here. KeithJul 5, 2017 at 3:07 pm #3477118
Andrea CBPL Member
I’m not a great fan of Bivy bags, but I’ve some good Silnylon that I can make a use of.
This post was a good inspiration, some good work done up there :-)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.