- Jun 16, 2018 at 10:41 pm #3542419
Hello all, I have just about finished my latest tent project: a 4 season, 4 persons 4 poled base camp tunnel tent. I’m hoping to use it with my family of 4 and eventually as a base camp while climbing in the Canadian Rockies or in Alaska (well, one can hope!).
All plans have been greatly detailed and adjusted to my liking by Mr. Caffin. Without his tremendous help the tent would most likely still be in the planning stages… Such a big tent made it difficult to measure and cut all the panels as efficiently as possible but, in the end, it turned out alright. The provided plans were very detailed and after giving them some thoughts took a lot of the guessing work out of the equation which was great to mainly focus on the sewing. Still, there were no free lunches!
Total weight of 2990g all included (stuff sac, poles, guys, fly and inner) BUT it still needs to be seam sealed with some tape and flowable Permatex.
Poles: 4 identical poles each with 3 elbows. 8.8mm OD and 7.5mm ID. They are really stiff hence the use of elbows. Ordered from HaoZhong Carbon Fiber (They are not 2D wrapped, time will tell how that goes). I had gluing issues but after testing Gorilla Glue original and Lepage repair gel did the trick. The pole sections are linked with an outer sleeve (external insert). It still feeds in the sleeve well enough but if I end up having pole issues I’ll make them internal.
Fly and sleeves: 40d silnylon from Extrem textile. Vents are held up by thick (3.9mm) and flexible heavy-duty grass whipper wire. 12 guy outs with lite lineloc 3’s. Front corners have bungees to keep tension but lineloc 3’s have been used at the rear end. The sleeved are opened at one end only. I added a slight cat curve in the ridge line between the poles. Corner reinforcements where bonded with silicone and stitched.
Inner: I used 2<sup>nd</sup> fabric on sale at Extrem. It is very airy! Maybe too much? I do not think it will be possible to have humidity build up in the inner tent which is good.
Floor: I used the same 40d silnylon from Extrem. 3500mm rated and impossible to tear with bare hands.
Zips: #3 coil
Internal guys have been added but are not in the pictures.
Stitching: Rasant 120 and 75.
I still need to seam seal the fly and add an inner mesh door.Jun 17, 2018 at 1:10 am #3542431
Jerry AdamsBPL Member
@retiredjerryLocale: Oregon and Washington
That looks like a spacious tentJun 17, 2018 at 4:25 am #3542442
MJ HBPL Member
That looks great. What are the dimensions?Jun 17, 2018 at 4:47 am #3542443
@iagoLocale: Boston & Galicia, Spain
Looks awesome!Jun 17, 2018 at 6:00 am #3542448
Groundsheet: 2,200 mm long x 2,184 mm wide
Interior ht at peak: 1,219 mm
Outside dimension 3,761 mm x 2,400 mm
I was a bit surprised when the design worked out. I had not thought it possible to design such a 4-man tunnel tent, but it proved OK.
The photos are taken indoors. When pitched outdoors the fabric will be TAUT!
It is very airy! Maybe too much? I do not think it will be possible to have humidity build up in the inner tent which is good.
Debatable. If the inner tent is too air-tight you can get a lot of condensation inside it. A highly breathable inner lets the humidity pass through and freeze on the fly, which is obviously better. Personally, I would rely on the outer tent, the fly, to cut 99% of the wind, rather that relying on the inner. Reason being that if the fly does not block the wind, spindrift is going to build up inside against the inner tent. That would not be good.
Pierre – I do like the contrasting colour for the verandahs. I wish I had done that.
CheersJun 17, 2018 at 11:13 pm #3542598
Thank you all for the kind comments!
Roger, I am sure my cutting and sewing skills are not as precise as the plan you provided me with. The tent does fit 4 regular mats and the inner’s angles are not too pronounced as to hinder the usable interior space. Being so wide also makes for a huge vestibule despite the short span between the 4 poles.
As for the color choices… I tried to use smaller left over pieces of silnylon I had on hand and it worked out better than expected.
I will update with pics once I have sealed it and set it outdoors but it will take a few weeks.Jun 17, 2018 at 11:45 pm #3542603
We want to see it in the mountains, with family inside it!
CheersJun 18, 2018 at 3:46 am #3542649
Sam FarringtonBPL Member
@scfhomeLocale: Chocorua NH, USA
Thank you, Pierre, for the thread, pictures and details. Very nice, and very sturdy I’m sure. It would be very interesting to know a little more about the materials and joinery for the elbows.Jun 18, 2018 at 7:17 am #3542674
madeline nguyenBPL Member
neat! I am very envious of those skillzJun 19, 2018 at 3:11 am #3542777
Sam, you’ll be disappointed to learn that I had no involvement in developing the elbows… I had to ship some things to Roger and he had to send stuff up north so he help me (well saved me really). Therefore they are stainless steel tubing bent with Roger’s home made bender. To make them fit the bigger I.D. of my poles we only had to use a short sleeve of a smaller O.D. than my pole’s I.D and some glue.
I started with high hope of using Ti tubing but ended up with only enough to make 2 elbows… That idea died rather quickly!
Madeline: Thank you but really, I bet everyone could do the same if time isn’t a factor. I only work when I feel ready to and stops regularly before any bigger/more committing steps.
CheersJun 19, 2018 at 6:25 am #3542808
Working Ti is hard – much harder than SS. Even the softest Ti – ‘CP’ is difficult.
So I take a length of SS tube, turn the ends down to fit inside the CF pole, and then I bend it with a special bender, as shown here.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.