Topic

My Thermarest Prolite delaminated

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My Thermarest Prolite delaminated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

again

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I bought one in 2009.  It weighed 16.5 ounces.  There was a spot at the top where I put my hand to get onto it.  All my weight on a small surface area.  In 2011 it started to delaminate – a small bubble at the top, to the side, where I put my hand.

I exchanged it at REI.  The new one was identical.  Red on top and gray on the bottom.  Same weight.  I was careful not to put my weight on this one with my hand.

This one just delaminated.  Big bubble where I put my shoulder.  I think this is the biggest pressure per surface area.

I just noticed it on this one trip and continued to use it for about 5 more nights.  I just put my shoulder on the bubble and it worked okay.  It got about twice as big during those 5 days.

I slept on this about 400 nights over 5 years.  I figure that’s okay.

I bought a new one.  This is red on both top and bottom.  It weighs 18.5 ounces rather than the 16.5 ounces of previous version.  This is the regular size – 72 inches x 20 inches.  The fabric is a little less slippery than the previous version.

Funny that they redesigned this product and kept the same name.

I wonder if they changed it to prevent this delamination problem.  I’ve heard other people have this experience.

I talked to Thermarest a little.  I don’t think I have the heart to demand a replacement, although they might if I was insistent.  I figure I got my money’s worth.  They didn’t answer my question about whether they redesigned this to fix the delamination problem.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The foam is die cut differently now isn’t it? This looks like adhesive area would be relatively small.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

the new one has smaller holes in the foam.  More foam area to hold adhesive.  And the holes are circular rather than diamond shaped.  It might have different foam and adhesive to reduce delamination.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I’m curious why you prefer the ProLite over inflatables. Most people go for inflatables or CCF it seems.

Justin W
    Spectator

@arcturusbearv3-0

“Most people go for inflatables or CCF it seems.”

And some of us, combo’s of the above.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Jerry,
    Yes. Delamination will be a cause to replace it. Just call them back and tell them. I am surprised you didn’t do this. I had one of the first hundred NeoAirs produced and it had a delamination problem last year. I sent it in and they sent me a new XLite because they don’t make the original, anymore. They GUARANTEE their products against defects. This is a manufacturing defect. I had also used mine for well over 400 nights.

I tore an old GuideLite apart (>20 years old.) I found that the foam had ripped loose, not the glue. I don’t believe that they CAN fix this except to remove sharp corners (the older diamond shaped stampings.) But, if I can get 15-20 years out of a pad, I don’t care. But, they decided to guarantee it 100%, even though they know it will be a problem.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I got about 400 nights out of mine so I feel like I got my money’s worth.  I already got one replaced for free, but that was only after maybe 200 nights.  I don’t want them to go out of business.  I don’t know that it’s fair to figure that I’m entitled to a mattress for life.  Stuff wears out.

On the other hand I’m a proud cheapskate.  I emailed warranty and they said it’s not covered and they’d send me an RA#.  I replied that those two statements are inconsistent and asked if I sent in my mattress would they send me a new one.  Waiting for reply.  I could have a spare.

I don’t like CCF.  Too stiff.  I don’t sleep well.

1 inch inflatable is good.  My first was a guidelite maybe 20 years ago.  The Prolite weighed 16 ounces which is good.  The new one weighs 18 ounces which is still pretty good.

Something like a Neoair would be good.  I don’t really need the extra softness and it might be too noisy and tippy.

If I sleep on snow I’ll do CCF and Prolite, but otherwise the extra weight and bulk are bad.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I could see someone reading this thinking that self inflating mattresses like Prolite are not a good choice if they delaminate : )

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I’m curious why you prefer the ProLite over inflatables.

I have an inflatable, but I still find the self-inflating pad to be more comfortable. It’s more like a mattress and less like sleeping on a pool toy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!