Topic

My First Winter Snowshoe Trip, Southern Oregon, 10s-30s°F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My First Winter Snowshoe Trip, Southern Oregon, 10s-30s°F

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Next week I am going winter backpacking via snowshoes for the first time with another friend. We will be snowshoeing about 3 miles to Lake of the Woods Resort in Southern Oregon. I thought this would be a relatively safe introduction to winter backpacking because (1.) this is a resort open during the winter, (2.) this area is surrounded by sno-parks, (3.) we will be fairly close to the car, and (4.) it is still relatively warm right now. The lodge will not be open when we go, but there will still be resort workers around. As of today, the temperatures will range from teens to 30°s F. We do not expect rain, but there is almost always wind here. If it does end up raining, I’ll switch out my softshells for my heavier waterproof snowboard pants and jacket, but these are bulky and uncomfortable for walking around in, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t rain. This friend and I will be joining some experienced backcountry skiiers on 2 or 3 day trips around the Rogue Valley and possibly a 1-nighter at Crater Lake just to mark it off my bucket list (but not venturing into the avalanche zones, because I’m a big fat chicken). Since I’m an official resident of Oregon now and I have a car that can access snowy roads, I’m hoping to extend my backpacking season into the winter months, and eventually take a class on winter safety. For now, I’m keeping it relatively safe and easy.

So here is my gear list.

** means I have not weighed these items yet. I’ll update it when I have time.

Keep in mind I run very cold. I will have a Nunatak 0° Raku in January (Merry Christmas to me!), so for now I’m using my 30° half quilt and 30° Skaha hoodie (which I think is rated closer to 25°, based on my experience with it). I think I can stretch this quilt and hoodie to the 20°s with the warmer pad stacked with the Ridgerest, the onesie, the VBL suit, the Montbell down pants, and the cuben bivy inside a tent with another person right next to me. And I will be sleeping with a warm bottle of water, as recommended by many good folks here! Plus, if it’s still not warm enough I’ll put on every dry article of clothing I have.

Some questions:

1.) Should I bring the eVent mitts as a backup for emergencies?

3.) Is the cuben bivy overkill? I figured for 4 oz. it couldn’t hurt as an extra source of warmth inside the tent.

4.) Any advice or things to change/add/eliminate?

If anyone in the area wants to join us, PM me! We are leaving Tuesday around 1200.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Update on weather: nighttime temps are looking a little bit warmer for tomorrow: low 20s.

Anyone have advice or suggest changes to my list?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

In my opinion get some lightweight raingear to hike in instead of snowboard clothes in case of rain.  It’d be more comfortable and absorb less water when rained upon.  (maybe your board clothes are sweet, IDK… mine absorb too much)  even cheapie precip half zips would work.

But whatever… just an opinion.

Hit crater lake if the skies are clear, you wont regret it.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

My snowboarding clothes are definitely not comfy for excessive movement. I’ll just bring the poncho/groundsheet for now since it is not expected to rain and it covers my lower body down to my gaiters. In the future I’ll bring my Helium rain pants and jacket. Thanks for the tip!

I hope to get to Crater Lake either January or February, at least for a day hike. It’s so gorgeous in the winter!!

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Just an update:

We ended to getting hit by a snow storm a day earlier than expected. Low temp was 19°, got 8″-12″ of snow in that area. A local person was selling a used, seam sealed Firstlight, so I bought that and brought it along. Condensation was bad with two people, but I think it’ll be an awesome tent with drier conditions.

I was quite cozy, and only got cold where the CCF pad stopped. The VBL suit, socks, gloves, and hat were AMAZING! Next time I’ll have a 0° Raku and a 4-season stove, and I’ll be in the tent by myself. I’m leaving behind the short toe sock liners (too tight), bivy (not necessary when I’m by myself and away from the tent walls), down hoodie and down pants (Raku takes care of those). I might also swap out the Ridgerest for my GG thinlight, depending on the temps.

All in all, a really fun one-nighter. I’m already planning a one- or two-nighter for January with four other people.

Here is the link to the trip report video (I said low of 25° after checking the nearest town, but found a weather report for the lake itself after I made the video. Oh well!):

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Great first trip!

Quick overnighters where you don’t go too far into the woods are the perfect way to build experience, skills and confidence.

Re the Raku vs separate Parka/pants… when it’s seriously cold (say +15°F to below zero) you might need to wear your down while doing camp chores, or throw on your parka ‘belay style’ when taking breaks.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Bri,

Checked out your gear list…how did you like your Brynje arctic suit?  It looks as if it has polypro mesh next to the skin with a layer of Merino on top of the mesh…

Wondering if layering merino on top of the polypro can mitigate or absorb some of the odor retaining properties of polypro.  Have you ever noticed anything like this?  Also….is it comfortable?

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Thanks, Bob! I imagine I’ll be wearing the Raku for chores in those temps. Do you mean I should still bring along the down pants? I think in the future I’ll be wearing my softshell pants with the Raku up until going to bed (and my baselayers will already be on). Unless it’s really cold and I won’t be exerting myself too much, I don’t think I’ll wear the VBL suit until bed time.

Rob,

I saw quite a few recommendations to couple the VBL clothing with Brynje clothing, so I looked for my warmest options, and found quite a few options with wool. I love this thing! It looks silly, but I don’t care. I’m not sure how it’ll work going to bathroom with the Raku on, but I’ll cross that bridge later. I’ve been wearing the Arctic suit to bed every day for the past two weeks and have been keeping my heater off and sleeping as cold as possible to acclimate better (someone suggested that here so I’m trying it). :) It still doesn’t stink. I only started to sweat on the trek back to the car when we were pretty close to the finish, though. The drop seat in the back took some getting used to, but it probably wouldn’t be as tricky for guys. I got the M’s XS and it’s still too big, but I’d rather it be a little loose than a little tight. It’s definitely heavy, but I’ll be wearing it non-stop on my winter trips. I wish it came with an integrated hood, but I got a Brynje balaclava to go with it and it works just fine that way. It’s super warm. I wouldn’t recommend it if you run warm. I bought mine from Nordiclife.co.uk because it was cheapest there, including shipping. It actually arrived to my doorstep much faster than I had expected. If you don’t want to suit version, they have separate Arctic pants and tops available, too.

Bri

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Hi, Bri:

If the Raku permits the mobility to do camp chores it could work out. Looking forward to your impressions when you get a chance to use it.

Some favorable mentions here, which perhaps you’ve seen. Sorry if there was a recent discussion about this and I missed it.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Glad to know your arctic suit still smells good!  I have both wool and polypro mesh base layers (Aclima) and the polypro’s are more comfortable since my skin is very picky about which merino it can tolerate.  Maybe I’ll  try to layer a thin merino shirt over my polypro mesh and go snowshoeing to get sweaty and then ask people if they think I stink!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

SKI POLES are the main item missing here.

If you have little experience with snowshoes I can tell you that ski poles are very important.

GOOGLE how to use ski pole straps B/C that is an important part of using them.

You can use your hiking poles if that company sells snow baskets. Believe me, if you need snowshoes you also need poles with snow baskets.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Yes, I definitely need ski poles. My normal hiking poles don’t allow for snow baskets, so I’m in the market for some ski poles. Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools