Topic

My First Bikepacking Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring My First Bikepacking Gear List

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Doing a 2-day 80 mile 95% off road bikepacking trip next week. A big loop starting at the Golden Gate Bridge, north along coastal mountain ridges to Pt. Reyes and Samuel P. Taylor state park, then back south along the other side of the mountains. My list is on lighterpack.com under “Bikepacking Marin Loop.” Comments?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

No comments on the packing list but very interested in the route. Care to post more details?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

EDIT: A lesson in reading comprehension, folks. Biking, not hiking. Was thinking this was the toughest mofo on the planet, lol.

————————

80 miles in 2 days? Absolute mad-lad, mate. ;)

My left foot just fell off even thinking of doing half of that. LOL

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Couple of thoughts.  Depending on the weather (which also depends on the season for this area) the down pants seem like overkill.

And pepper spray?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

” 3 battery votive “candles”,  a little kumbaya in the hills?  Have a fun trip

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Johan: The bicycles make the 10,000′ of climbing each day a lot easier too.

@Paul
    Wagner: It has been getting down into the low 40’s in the evening (43 last night), with strong breezes coming in from the ocean. I also plan to sleep in my puffy and the down pants unless it gets cold enough to add the sleeping bag. The pepper spray is for ornery humans that don’t like bicyclists on “their” trails and are sometimes aggressively confrontational. I suppose there is a possibility of cougars and coyotes too, but they don’t worry me as much.

@Jon
    : No campfires allowed but the little “candles” flicker like flames, and when placed in the bottom of my Foster’s can pot it really feels like a small camp fire to sit by for dinner and conversation.

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

Uberlight weight is 6 ounces not 0.65 ounces

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Good catch Paul, thanks. I have no idea where .65 oz came from, unless I’m dyslexic maybe, because on my scale the Uberlite weighs 5.6 oz. But I’ve decided to go with a full-size generic air mattress so I can actually sleep. Made some other changes and additions and added some photos. Looks like weight worn & carried on the bike and the weight carried in my small pack are about 8 lbs each.

erez a
    BPL Member

@erezavraham

Hi David
    i have found the same article as you and am planning to do my first bikepacking on the same trail. probably end of this month or beginning of March
    Where did you end up camping? did you need a permit?

i will try to use my heavy Specialized Levo SL with a battery extender.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

Are you using panniers or a bike frame too? Maybe a handlebar pack as well?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

We stayed at Pantoll Campground the first night and Samuel P. Taylor Redwoods the second night. When we went each had a small fee and no reservation required for bikers. Best to double check that.

This is a picture of my DIY rig, with a cantilever rear rack and “panniers” as well as multiple bags strapped to my handlebars. It’s tricky hauling a lot of gear on a full suspension bike. I’ll be fabricating something more substantial and with a lower center of gravity for future trips.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools