Topic

My Drowning (And other Inconveniences)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web My Drowning (And other Inconveniences)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Classic Cahill. A long read, but worth it.

From the story:

My face turned blue, I’m told, then gray, and then my heart stopped beating altogether. Flatlined. I died that December day on Tequila Beach. This created a great deal of consternation—and it has tended to complicate my relationships with others ever since.

I was, at the time, 71 years old, and most of my team was half my age or less. These fine and foolish folk had every reason to imagine that I had all the skills necessary to handle a winter trip down the Grand Canyon.

I had a history of that sort of thing. 

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks! That was exciting.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I didn’t know about this – thanks for posting!  Only Tim Cahill could make being dead so funny.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Wow. That story hit very close to home, including my own crazy run through Lava Falls where sheer luck avoided a disaster but not other injuries, and being there for one near-drowning and one they-really-died drowning on other rivers.

One thing Cahill touches on is what the other survivors / rescuers go through. It’s pretty rough, and revisiting the scene can open old wounds and/or help heal those wounds. BTDT.

Good writing. Tough read.

— Rex

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools