Topic

My BPL Beartooth Mts. Gear List July 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My BPL Beartooth Mts. Gear List July 2017

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

Locale: Midwest

(Mid-July 4d/3n BPL Trip)

Worn:

Icebreaker Undies 1 oz
    Brooks Bra 3 oz
    Patagonia Merino Wool T-Shirt 4 oz
    Arcteryx Trino Tight (Gore Windstopper)  12 oz
    Smart wool Socks (1) 1 oz
    Brooks Cascadia 12 Running Shoe 10.5 oz
    Buff 1 oz

ULA Circuit Pack (CF) 36 oz
    Sea to Summit XT ll 900 fill 42 oz
    *SD Flashlight FL 2p w/UL Stakes (two people) *39 oz
    Exped Winterlight Pad w/Inflator Stuff Sack 24 oz
    Cook Kit w/Tit. Mug and Coffee Filter 10 oz
    Titanium Spoon (long handle) .5 oz
    Black Diamond Spot Headlamp  3 oz
    OR Helium ll Rain Pants and Jkt 10.5 oz
    Salomon Clima-Wind Windshirt 2 oz
    Haglofs Hooded Touring Jkt 12 oz
    N. Face Gloves 1 oz
    Duece of Spades Too Light Trowel .5 oz
    Sawyer Mini 2 oz
    Sierra Designs Trail Skirt 4 oz
    Montbell Down Pants 5 oz
    Fleece Leggings 5 oz
    Craft Tank Top 2 oz
    Mt. Hardwear Shorts, gray (can do lighter here) 5 oz
    Icebreaker Undies 1 oz
    Dawgs Sandals 7 oz
    Smartwool Socks (2) 3.5 oz

Dehydrated food and snacks w/Ursack 96 oz
    1 Liter Water 35.2 oz

~Optional Add-Down Vest 5 oz

Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

Oooops, forgot to add Odlo Facemask Evolution Hoodie as worn item.  7 oz

Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

Oooops, forgot to add Odlo Facemask Evolution Hoodie as worn item.  7 oz

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A lot of clothes there. Leggings, tights, skirt, pants, shorts,

No first aid or navigation.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I agree that seems like an awful lot of CLOTHING and what about the THE DINKY STUFF PART 1 and THE DINKY STUFF PART 2 that Ken mentions

Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

I’m doing this trip as part of BPL’s Wilderness Trekking group and will have a friend with me. The guides will do the navigating. Being I’m carrying the entire weight of the tent, my friend will carry the “tiny items” (I have everything inside the tiny plastic containers like shown in the video and my toothpaste in a pill pouch zip lock baggie) and the stove fuel.  I really love the comfy feel of soft fleece on my legs, so I’m keeping those in the mix.  They are my luxury item, as is the Sea to Summit bag.  :-)  (I have a Sierra Designs CAL 13 bag that weighs half as much, but I love the comfort and warmth of the Traverse Xt II)  Also, the guides will go through our gear prior to heading out on the mountain.  If they don’t feel you’ve brought the gear necessary to accommodate any and all possible weather we might encounter, they will not allow you on the trip.

I am on the look out for a pair of Mountain Equipment Firelight pants that I could use to replace the Trino Tights and the rain pants.  The Firelight pants are made of Gore-Tex active and weigh just over 9 ounces.  They are fully waterproof, “breathable” and windproof.  They only sell them in Europe though.  For the pants to be shipped here, the total price would be around $165.  I’ll be bringing my Yamaha TW200 dual sport cycle with me to Montana to ride both the Beartooth HWY and Chief Joseph’s HWY following the backpacking trip.  I want the more durable Firelight pants so I can wear them over my fleece-lined First Ascent pants when on the cycle.  I trust the Gore-Tex product more for use in such a manner than the lighter weight, more fragile Helium II pant, plus the protective equipment on my knees needs to fit under the shell pants.

My cook kit is the 1 liter MSR titanium pot with a grease pot cover that has a piece of heat resistant tape on it that I can grip to pull off the cover.  I have a tried & true alcohol stove, a wind screen, mini Bic lighter, titanium pot gripper and an REI ‘clip to rim of mug’ micro-netting coffee filter.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A trip report would be most appreciated. Don’t hear much about the BPL trips.

I’m sure more feedback on clothes is coming.

Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

I’d be happy to give a review of the trip upon it’s conclusion.    :-)

Keith Harris
    Spectator

@keithsharris

Your list includes only a liter of water. For a 3-day trip, you’ll obviously be needing a lot more. Will the guides be bringing an adequate supply? Will you be crossing known, safe, springwater locations, along the way? Or would you want to take a straw-type filter (or tabs) in case you need to take water from stream or creek?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools