Topic

MSR Windburner Fry Pan — Any Users?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition MSR Windburner Fry Pan — Any Users?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I used to be a die-hard Jetboil Sol Ti user but have recently switched to the MSR Windburner for its incredible performance in wind.

For longer, easier expeditions, where I can afford a few extra ounces for some added long term comfort, I really like bringing a fry pan. My staples for fried meals include a variety of spam dishes, tortilla dishes, trout, fried pasta, and fried bagel dishes. I usually bring my Alpine Fry Bake and mate it to the little Jetboil adapter. But this is kind of a heavy solution for frying.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the MSR Windburner Fry Pan? I’m contemplating bringing this on my upcoming trip in the Sierra next week.

What are your favorite fried food recipes?

Mine:

* Fried cheesy bagels – bagel halves fried with cheese, salami, and spices
    * Trout – breaded in cornmeal and montreal steak;
    * Brat & veggie stir fry – a traditional first night dish for me.

I usually use the little coconut oil packets for frying.

Any nuances with the Windburner / fry pan system I should be aware of?

What do you use for a lid?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

No experience with that pan (or frying while backpacking) but I’d definitely hit some fried bagels with cheese and salami. Dang.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I’ve use Banks Fry Pan for over 20 year and find that it handles all I “throw at it” and more. Introduced in the NOLS programs back in the later 70’s and knowledge has spread with it’s use.

If you plan on using one this is some info for you:

BANKS FRY-PAN 8″ dia – Alpine (7.5oz), FRY-PAN LID 8″ (4.6),  SPATULA (.4oz), POT LIFTER (.95oz) – 13.45oz

https://frybake.com/

Brad Q
    BPL Member

@bquadeicloud-com-2

I have the MSR fry pan designed for the MSR Windburner, and used it last August in the Wind River Range (during the eclipse!).  Before the trip, I was concerned about burning food because it is so difficult to turn the Windburner down low enough to simmer.  Somewhat to my surprise, this turn out not to be a problem.  Most frying is done at higher temperatures, the pan is less “efficient” thermally (more mass, no lid, and wide surface area from which to lose heat by radiation and convection) than the pots.  We just did scrambled eggs (Ova Easy), but I think our experience should extrapolate to your favorite dishes (especially trout, stir fry).  I would think you would be pleased with the MSR pan for the Windburner.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools