Topic

MSR Pocket Rocket DLX Windscreen MARK II

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Pocket Rocket DLX Windscreen MARK II

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

3 months back I made a windscreen for the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. I believe it turned out very well, and is ideal for a large diameter pot – see thread here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/a-windscreen-for-the-msr-ppcket-rocket-deluxe/

However, I wanted something smaller and lighter with a slightly taller “wall” to shed wind. I ended up using a Snow Peak Ti Bowl. I already carry one in conjunction with an Evernew Ti Solo Pot Set, so the completed windscreen now nests perfectly with the Ti Bowl for travel.

The “manufacturing” process for this was the same as the previous – Dremel cutoff and grinding wheels with sandpaper to finish. The difference was I cut the bowl down to 1-3/8″ tall (as measured from the outside). I also enlarged the pot support cutouts to 1/4″ wide this time. Not only does it save weight and make removal easier, it also gives a bit more “breathability” from below to the burner.

Make a template first, cut it out, and transfer it to the Ti bowl:

The critical area is the space between the pot support arms and the burner cutout. You want these tight to the pot support arms. Cutout slowly and enlarge as needed. This is the only place that supports the windscreen and you don’t want it wobbly:

The fire is lit:

Because the Pot supports are each uniquely directional, I etched an arrow where the on/off valve goes. That gets the arms mated to their specific cutout slots:

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Very nicely done!  Keep in mind that this should also work with the Pocket Rocket 2 as well.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Thanks Jon, and good point! Yes, this is equally doable for the Pocket Rocket II.

Aside, my own Pocket Rocket Dlx is from 2019, and always had poor/inconsistent ignition with its Piezo igniter. I sent it back to MSR, and after 9 weeks it returned with a new Piezo. Works fine now.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Very nice.  I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile, now, so thanks for the inspiration and photos. 👍

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools