Topic

Mountain poncho pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mountain poncho pattern

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

is there another source for a similar pattern to that or the Packa? I got some Cuben to make one and would really like a pattern. I would have to upgrade to premium to get it and I have no need for a premium membership for anything other than this so I would literally be paying $27 for a poncho pattern.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Maybe contact Jan Rezac?  His cuben mountain poncho looked like a seriously sweet bit of kit.

Oh, and if you do end up making something along the lines of what Jan made…is there any chance you’d make it available for purchase?  :)

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Funny, I have already sent Jan a PM a couple nights ago as his jacket turned out amazing. However, I still haven’t heard back.

JCH, I’ve sold a few of my MYOG items but I’m not sure if my craftsmanship is worthy of fulfilling actual orders. Not entirely out of the question though I suppose.

I got my .61 DCF in the mail yesterday from RSBTR and I’m really excited to use it for this application.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Hoosier, Don’t sell yourself short.  I agree that Jan’s looked incredible, but I’ve seen a bit of what you can do on this board and am betting you will turn out something quite nice.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Hi Hoosier and others,

I’ve answered the PM yesterday, but now I do not see it in the conversation – the message disappeared somehow (maybe it was too long). Sorry for the delay.

You can have the pattern, just send me e-mail address. (This applies to BPL members, it is based closely on the pattern from Roger Caffin’s article so I don’t want to make it public without his consent.)

I’ll post the comments and tips that were part of that message to the original thread for future reference.

Jan

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, Jan! I have sent you my email address via PM. I’m excited to give it a go.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Quest sells the Parcho, it’s similar. I made one and really like it.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

+1 on the Parcho here.

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

I thought Roger Caffin posted about a patent he claims on that one..,)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Free parcho pattern PDF in description

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-jackets-cart.htm

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

The Rain Shed and QuestOutfitters also have the pattern by Green Pepper for their cagoule.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks for pointing those out. I like Jan’s jacket because it it built somewhat similar to a Packa in that it fits like a slightly oversized jacket but the pack being underneath adds the ventilation. I’ve been using the frog toggs poncho and have decided that I want the combination of its breathability with fitment closer to that of a jacket.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I will be moving forward with Jan’s pattern. I underestimated the amount of Cuben I would need and didn’t quite order enough so I’ll have to wait for the rest to come in.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Did your extra cf come in?

I am interested to see how this works out. I read Rogers article and it seems like this might be a good place to start. I am sure like everything the devil is in the details and it is all about the layout and thinking it through. My sewing skills are seriously deficient so I would start with a much cheaper silnylon or silpoly.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet as I’m not certain how much I need yet and don’t want to buy extra for obvious reasons. I have actually switched gears and decided to attempt to replicate the Packa instead. I prefer the way it consumes material in that the entire garment doesn’t have to be as huge and baggy, the actual built in raincover should allow it to fit more like a jacket but with some added ventilation. that with deep pit zips should allow enough ventilation while using less material, making it lighter and less prone to getting blown by the wind.

So…I’m in the process of seam ripping an old jacket that fits me loosely and I’ll use it as my pattern along with Jan’s hood pattern so make something that better suits my needs. I’ll for sure post when it’s done.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for the update. I completely understand not wanting to buy any extra dcf. Thank you for sharing and keeping us posted.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools