Topic

modular set up : zpacks tarp, tub and bug net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) modular set up : zpacks tarp, tub and bug net

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael B
    BPL Member

@theriker-2-2

I want to have a more module setup. instead of a tent i want a tarp, bathtub and tent netting. I’m thinking something like a hybrid of zpacks pocket tarp with doors and HMG bug net. Generally speaking the tub and netting will be used together.

HMG bug nets seem  heavy/expensive. Sea to summit has a bug net i can experiment with but I wanted to see if others have done the same.

Thanks -m

Michael B
    BPL Member

@theriker-2-2

Just saw zpacks used to make a HexaNet but no longer is making it.  Looks like the HexaNet requires it’s own stakes the new bathtub set-up looks better.

I messaged zpacks but I realize they don;t do custom work anymore

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The Sixmoon Designs SERENITY – NETTENT is  11oz and $125 and a number of members have used that combo over the years …  Michael LeviScott Insley

Here is a video using a Sea To Summit  net and homemade cuben floor and one with the Serenity net tent Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp Setup, Review, and Changes I’ve Made  .and  Perfecting The Universal Shelter | DIY | Zpacks Pocket Tarp | Nano Net | Setup .

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The STS Nano Pyramid Mosquito net is only 3 ounces and it works well for mosquitos and most “normal” sized bugs. You can cinch down the elastic perimeter draw cord a bit so it fits snugly around/under an air mattress – or under a bathtub. This setup has worked well under a Deschutes tarp for me on the JMT and the last few summers of backpacking. The STS net won’t keep out no-see-ums or aggressive ant colonies, so avoid ant infected sites. If the forecast is dry, you can just take the STS net and the tarp and leave the bathtub at home. If rainy or breezy, the bathtub will help block splash and wind.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

My Zpacks tarp pairs nicely with my MLD bug bivy, as well as my Yama Mountain gear cuben inner tent.  This could work for you.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Duane,  Michael is looking for something to go with a Zpack pocket tarp(Hexamid not a regular tarp) so he would need a side entry net tent like the Serenity, I don’t see a side entry option at Yama. Oh and Micheal I have 2 Hexanets from when he use to make them.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@theriker-2-2

thanks for the feedback. more for me to investigate

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

I have a Zpacks Hexamid Solo+ tarp which is no longer available (larger than the solo tarp, 1.5 person), Zpacks double bathtub groundsheet which fits under the solo+ and S2S nano bugnet combo that I’ve never really used, i think 5 nights.  I have considered selling it – if you’re interested let me know by PM.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@theriker-2-2

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve decided modular is NOT the way to go for my style of backpacking.

For through hiking it might work but I’m staying in an area for multiple days before moving on. I’m thinking I need a shelter to leave at base camp and a sun shield and/or emergency tarp to take with me on daily excursions.

ill probably get a TT aeon li and then a HMG ground cloth

thanks!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools