Topic

Modified Toaks 750 Titanium pot With and W/O handles Kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Modified Toaks 750 Titanium pot With and W/O handles Kits

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dan

We use the MSR pot lifter you show ALL the time. Yes, I have other ones, but I don’t use them. It will hold a 2 L pot.

So the big Q is whether you can make one lighter with the same functionality.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Roger, good to know that someone of your experience has zeroed in on a specific brand/design. I ordered 2 and they due to arrive Tomorrow. After viewing them, I should be able to tell if I can design a lighter one :)

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

Easy solution, A pot with a removable handle.

https://www.storminstovesystems.co.uk/stormin-solo-setup/

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

The lightest pot lifter around.Removable handle, 4g.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I would expect that you could. Obviously MSR will have HAD to over-engineer their pot lifter to cater for mistreatment by novices, but by just how much … dunno. Interesting experiment.

I suggest either 7075 Al alloy or Ti. The 7075 will be difficult to bend as needed while avoiding cracking. 6Al4V Ti would need to be formed hot to avoid cracking, but CP Ti should be formable. Making up the dies needed if you want to ‘produce’ them would be a lot of work.

I suspect Al rivets might wear out rather quickly at the pivot. SS rivets, if you can get them, would be much better.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Mybe cast aluminum or magnesium would work. I’ve been using this no name spring loaded lifter for the past 20 years.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

That looks slightly veterinary!
    Interesting thought though.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools