Topic

Modified Kovea Syder for confined pot supports

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modified Kovea Syder for confined pot supports

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Modified Kovea Syder for confined pot supports.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’m going to test how it performs inside my titanium pot support/windscreen. The hose connection from canister to stove looks like it has a compression fitting without an O ring. I’ve made a titanium cover to protect hose while in operation.

I’ll test boil 2 cups water several times and then move on to boil 4 cups to see how well the stove performs. Both tests will be with full power mode.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok, it’s a Kovea Spyder ;)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

different camera.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

is the shield out of a preponderance of caution or have you experienced degradation or failure of the hose while using the spyder with a windscreen?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger indicated being confined would not be a good idea. So as a precaution I’ll sheild it.

The little label on the hose gives instructions to keep away from flame.

This is new territory for me using canister stove :-)

My Toaks 1.3 liter (~ 5 ½ cup) titanium pot is awesome. This pot size is perfect for two people . Pot has sufficient volume to boil over 5 cups of water, and ample capacity for cooking meals and melting snow.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Removed the legs so it would fit inside the pot support/windscreen and knocked off 1 ounce from the weight of the stove. I’ll remove the little warning label and reduce the weight even more ;)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

On another forum someone said:

I’ve not yet had any of my stoves melt yet. I always use a windscreen and heat reflector so it does get very hot in there and I’ve worried about that. But nothing ever happened yet. Even on my kovea spider.

Roger, do you have any reports of bad things happening with hose being heated in confined windscreens ?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I have been using (and selling) windscreens for the Kovea Spider for several years.  I have not seen one problem.  Of course, this takes careful design of the windscreen as well as detailed operation instructions for the user. My 2 cents.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thanks Jon. Your set-up gives me confidence that the Kovea is going to perform well inside my titanium windscreen/pot support. The 1300ml Toaks pot is similar to the capacity of your Evernew Ultra-Light 1.3 liter titanium pot. Your instructions are spot on!

The Bobcat Kovea Windscreen
    Instructions for Use
    The Bobcat Kovea Windscreen is identical to our regular Bobcat windscreen with the following
    additions; we have built in a access port for remote fuel lines and the windscreen coils up to a tighter
    diameter for storage. Everything that you can do with the Bobcat system, you can now do with the
    Bobcat Kovea. Boil, Simmer, Sauté, Pan fry, Steam Bake, Dry Bake, you can do it all!
    To use the Bobcat Kovea system
    1. Select your spot, find a place where the ground is level and free of debris that can burn. Check
    your local and state agencies for proper use of backpacking stove. The location should be
    sheltered from the wind.
    2. Unfold and flatten the heat shield, this will protect the ground and improve your fuel
    efficiency.
    3. Uncoil your windscreen and lock it in the correct position: use on snap for high heat / fast boil
    times and the 2 snap positions for normal use, simmering, dry baking and frying.
    4. Center your stove. Place the stove onto the center of the heat shield and place the windscreen
    over the stove. Route the fuel line through the vertical slot to the right of the snaps.
    5. Connect your fuel to the stove; make sure that the valve is closed.
    6. Light the stove and you are ready to go
    Note: Operating the Kovea Stove in a windscreen is different than using it out in the open. The
    windscreen will retain more heat and hence, require less fuel. You may find that the time to boil may be a
    bit longer. If you are interested in flat out speed, use the windscreen in the one snap mode. As you get
    use to this cooking system, you will find that in the two snap mode you will save fuel.

Warnings and Safety
    • Only use stove outside in an area clear of flammable material. Do NOT use the stove in enclosed
    spaces (tent or cabin). • Use the stove under adult supervision. • Make sure that the stove sits flat on the base plate. Air gaps will cause the stove to burn too hot. • Never place an empty pot over a lit stove as this will overheat your pot. This is true even in the
    simmer or baking mode. • In operation, all components of the cooking system are hot and should not be touched. • Alcohol and solid fuel stoves are one of the safest forms of heating food, however; all stoves carry
    some risk. Always follow the instructions; proper operation is the key to safety

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Jon, what is the purpose of the holes around the rim of your windscreen?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Ventilation

(edited later – I should have said exhaust gas ventilation or exhaust ports. sorry if I confused anyone)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ventilation

My observations of rising hot air along side of a can or windscreen, pushes against them and enters the holes in them as seen in these photos. The can in the photos is a single wall. I put some Goo Gone product in the can and lit it so I would get some nice orange/red flames. It’s easy to see the  pattern of the incoming air as the air rises. The holes in Jon’s windscreen or anyone elses windscreen, is hindering the exiting/venting of hot gases given off from a stove. There is plenty of opening at the area of the pot handles for the gases to escape so it’s not a big deal. Just sayin.

[

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Getting Ready to test. Weather is not cooperating:(

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dan

What happened to your sheds? They look a bit roofless?
    That happened to one of my sheds after a very bad storm: it peeled off. It won’t do that again.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It’s what remains of a 100 foot long green house I built 20 years ago. I used 2×8 treated lumber for the roof supports. It was covered with 1/8″ tempered glass panels. The sun and internal moisture from growing native wildflowers, caused the decay of the roof structure and I had to remove the roof last year for safety reasons. This years snow would have taken it down for sure. Were expecting another 10 inches tomorrow.  ASIN=B00CFPIPKA&linkCode=as2&tag=barejake-20&linkId=GKTTXXKATXSCK3SL

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Ouch.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Jon, what stove is the pot sitting on?

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

Jon, what stove is the pot sitting on?

Kovea Spider?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Looks like one his little alky stoves. Pot is too low in the windscreen. Certainly not a Kovea Spyder.

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

Nice one. Iv’e modified my Spyder like this 4/5 yrs ago to use within a Ti Caldera Cone. Cut a piece of BBQ liner material for the base. Iv’e not made this cover the hose, just the ground, you could cover the hose. I did have little feet on the legs for a while, like your rivnuts, but it doesn’t need them (for my 900ml pot).

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you @bankse, good information and thanks for the photo.

I cut the feet off with a bolt cutter and the rivnuts protected the table top. :-)

I had to postpone my outdoor tests due to extreme cold temps coming in tonight and tomorrow. I brought my set-up into the house and will do the testing inside.

Glad to see your modification worked well in the confined cone. My set-up is more confined so I’m hoping the hose will be protected. I’m not going to have a reflective base material for the initial tests.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@bankse, Have you had quick boil times with the cone/spyder set-up?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Note: Operating the Kovea Stove in a windscreen is different than using it out in the open. The
    windscreen will retain more heat and hence, require less fuel. You may find that the time to boil may be a
    bit longer. If you are interested in flat out speed, use the windscreen in the one snap mode. As you get
    use to this cooking system, you will find that in the two snap mode you will save fuel.

Jon, can you explain why the “longer time to boil” when the windscreen is used. How does having the windscreen closer to the pot save fuel?  Are there no adjustments via the control valve that are used to get the “flat out speed” you mention?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools