Topic

Missing Dial

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Anyone else watch Missing Dial, about Roman’s search for Cody, on Nat Geo last night?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I guess I missed it. I will look for it. Thanks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Sunday’s at 10 pm (though it will play other times, of course). First of 6 shows was last night. A bit slow, but interesting.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

anyone know if one can get it on demand anywhere?

I spent a lot of time in Corcovado, including Puerto Jimenez and Dos Brazos…

here is the bus to Dos Brazos, by the way.  There at one point were 22 people in the back!  

Kevin
    BPL Member

@kev8

Looks like there has been some recent developments to the story (and potential spoilers of the program).

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I’m a little mystified about how there is enough here to make 6 shows?  Am I wrong in what I’ve read that he was hiking alone and illegally, with no prior experience in Corcovado?   It’s a wild and dangerous place, so it’s not as though it’s an inexplicable outcome.

ETA:  I guess if they’re covering the broader history of Corcovado, that would be really interesting.   It’s a pretty wild place in the “wild west” sense of the word too.   There was a lot of resentment when they kicked out the gold miners to establish the park, and still plenty of illegal activity.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yeah, dos brazos was WEIRD.  we took a long hike with a local botanist who lived there (moved there from Miami) and literally stumbled on a few odd encampments on a mountain top.  This was back in 2007

This stuff literally was 10 miles up a mountainside.  Who hauls a table saw up there??!!

In hindsight – especially after what happened to Cody…sheesh!  Where were my spidey senses there, eh?

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

The jungle toilet is brilliant.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I wouldn’t want any of this to discourage people from visiting – Corcovado’s a remarkable place.   It’s not as though there’s a local consensus of resentment towards the NP & visitors – almost everyone I met was friendly and welcoming, and many locals make their living from tourism now.   People told me that although there’s a fair bit of illegal activity in some remote parts of the Park, there’s a pretty clear understanding that messing with tourists or coming into the primary tourist parts of Corcovado would trigger a crackdown.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Roman doesn’t update the gofundme page and won’t allow comments anymore. Why do you think that is?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don’t see any replays of episode 1, but it’s on demand if you have Comcast

I set it to record the series, thanks Doug

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Sad news. Got an email from Roman Dial via Go Fund Me and it has been confirmed that Cody’s body has been located and recovered.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That is sad news.

Missing Dial is currently streaming on Hulu.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve been watching this.  Interesting.  Must be one episode left?  And if they’ve now found the body they will probably make another episode.

It follows the format of many reality shows with drama between the participants.  Stretch it to six episodes because they have so much bandwidth to fill.  Interesting how the “bad guy” has turned out to be innocent and is helping them figure it out.

Currently, it’s pretty clear that Cody’s been killed.  Roman just wants closure.  Very sad.

Cody seems like he was a great son.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Reading the update, it appears they now believe Cody died of natural causes. I guess in a way that would be a relief, to at least know that it wasn’t that some other human being deliberately took the life of your child. I’m glad they have the closure of being able to bring Cody home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools