Topic

Missing clothing weights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Missing clothing weights

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I wear a size Large or Extra Large in most outdoor clothing that comes in a handful of sizes. Unfortunately, industry practice seems to be to advertise the weight of a size Medium. So I’m surprised when my purchases weigh significantly more on my scale. I often wonder if I got an extra-heavy item by mistake, because the makers don’t publish weights for other sizes.

For example the only advertised weight for the Patagonia Micro Puff men’s hoody is 9.3 ounces:

But a recently-purchased XL weighs 12.6 ounces on my scale, about 35% more!

OTOH, people who wear size Small or Extra Small must be pleasantly surprised most of the time.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor annoyance, unless I’m trying to shave a few ounces buying something that appears lighter.

Is it that hard to weigh and publish weights for all sizes?

— Rex

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I’m just pleased if they show any weight info at all.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

It really shouldn’t be such an issue and makes a lot of sense to publish all available weights. REI’s the worst about weights and they’re all over the place about it as well. No consistency. On the other hand, I’m a size medium

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Rab publish the weight of size L rather than M, I believe. At least, the various size M I have come in under spec.

If what you’re looking for is sold by UOG in the UK, they actually weigh items themselves and quote weights for various sizes, e.g. Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody.

Edit: It looks as if yours might be seriously overweight.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

That UOG site is great. Thanks for the link.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I’m an XXL in mst clothing. I expect my garment to weigh at least twice whatever a MEDIUM masses

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

“That UOG site is great. Thanks for the link.”

You’ve got to like a site where one of the options is to sort by weight from lightest to heaviest.

(Their customer service is very good too.)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“I’m an XXL in mst clothing. I expect my garment to weigh at least twice whatever a MEDIUM masses”

+1

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools