Topic

Mid-May off-trail in the Western US, non-desert locales without snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mid-May off-trail in the Western US, non-desert locales without snow?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Hi all,

I’m weighing a trip in Mid-May and I’d like to get more ideas for off-trail hiking destinations with open landscapes, good water access, and no snowpack. I’ve done this kind of hike in Southern Utah, and I’m wondering about other options. Oregon? Colorado? Thanks for any help!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

How about the Olympic Coast in WA? No snow, moderate temps and no trails (other than short steep routes up and around points in a few places. May is nice, but you roll the dice with weather: could be sunny or rainy or both.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

Inland NW. May is generally nice weather, lots of lakes/rivers, plenty of open space. I have spent more time off trail than on, but even some of the ‘trails’ here are lightly traveled and more guidelines.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools