Topic

Mesh shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mesh shirt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

40+ years ago my father used and taught us to use mesh shirts for the cold as the first layer against the skin with a somewhat form fitting layer over it.  He said air was the best insulator and this trapped a lot of air and let perspiration wick away from the body.  He seemed to be way ahead of his time.   Here is a polopro version I use today. No expensive down to get wet, light, durable, works.  Anyone else use this this technique?  Am I missing something?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

This will provided the information you and others might like to read:

Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model- REVIEW

by Ryan Jordan and Mike Martin | 2012-11-13 00:00:00-07

https://backpackinglight.com/fishnet_base_layers/

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I used to wear fish net base layers back in the 70s. They do work to trap air between the skin and a close-fitting next base layer. It was warmer than when not using the fish net, and I liked it more in the winter for that reason (snowshoeing, skiing, etc.).

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

40 years ago when I got into backpacking big-time I used to wear a mesh top and bottom (pretty sure they were wool) and the setup worked extremely well for warmth and moisture control. But, as noted in Ken’s link, be super careful about laundering. I remember how my Mom threw them in the washer and dryer after I got back from a backpacking trip and when they came out they were the size of doll clothes.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I used fishnet underwear in the 70’s also.  And then picked up a pair of the Brynje just last year. Not cheap, but worth it to me.  I especially like using them as my sleep layer.  They seem to help prevent sweat accumulation while sleeping, and the associated chill of that sweat evaporating.  That is a big deal, and I think they are great.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I use mesh underwear top and bottom as well.  Nylon and dry very quickly, even in near freezing temps.  I’ve had mine for years – bought about 8 pair in the early 80’s at a close out.  Mine have shrunk up a bit as well and have smaller holes than they used to, but still comfortable and effective.  I was just looking at them the other day and should probably retire half of them.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Back in the 1970’s I used cotton fishnet for cold weather, that was all I could get.  Even then it worked quite well.

Now I have synthetic fishnet (Byrnie and others) and it’s great. I have short and long sleeved tops and one pair of bottoms.  In the coldest weather I wear fishnet to bed under a merino layer.  During the day I wear them under a button-down shirt so I can ventilate, which they do quite well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools