Topic

Mesh Insert Needed for Pyramid in PNW?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mesh Insert Needed for Pyramid in PNW?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas R
    BPL Member

@nickrebo

Thank you, Bruce. Yes, interested. I have an hyperlite mountain gear ultamid 2, which does have attachment points for inserts. But I’ll need to reread this thread to see what’s the best way to attach the bivy to the tent.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

If an inner is too heavy Sea to Summit has a floor less zipper less bug net that is a pyramid shape and has a one person or two person model.  It’s a few ounces, probably lighter than a bivy?

Nicholas R
    BPL Member

@nickrebo

@Phong D have you tried the sea to summit net or know others that have?

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

<p style=”text-align: left;”>No my Duomid has perimeter bug netting attached and if that isn’t enough I have a bivy as well.  Ive seen it on the PCT with another Duomid user.</p>

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

someone using it here, although in his opinion he is not sure if it works against no see ums, something to verify

https://www.backpackingnorth.com/blog/2013/07/the-lightest-shelter-sea-to-summit-nanohtml

Nicholas R
    BPL Member

@nickrebo

I’m intrigued. 2.9 oz plus insect shield. Mosquitos are the main concern, although haven’t experienced no-see-uma before, so maybe they’d be annoying. Not sure if we have them here in PNW.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Oh man those Oregon mosquitoes were a nightmare. I was really glad I had a tent. I needed to get inside and lay there away from them and be able take off my clothes, too, because it was warm. I have a Pocket tarp for those bug-free or low-bug environments, but if I go anywhere with bugs I bring my tent.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

P.S. I have a S2S nano net. It’s pretty spacious if it fits well under your tarp. The top is off-center but I can hook it into the center of my Pocket tarp okay. It’s a little wider than the space under my tarp so it ends up kind of drapey and less spacious but it works and it’s very light. It’s a bit fragile. The netting is not like the more durable netting on a tent. Do not let velcro get anywhere near it or you’ll be sorry.

Nicholas R
    BPL Member

@nickrebo

@Diane nice! How is the nano with heavy mosquito pressure? Still hard to sleep with the buzzing so near? Some bites get through when you’re sleeping?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The bivies mentioned earlier will work, but they’re certainly far from ideal. With a mid you’re better off using a net that conforms to its shape because when you lay down the fly is close to your head, so it’s nearly impossible to tie a bivy head pullout to its desired optimum height. Bives function better under A frame tarps. Again, not to say they won’t work, just aren’t the best choice in my opinion. Going diagonally in the Ultimid will make a bivy doable. No space to move around in a bivy though which is an even bigger downside.

I own an S2S Nano and it will certainly keep the skeeters off of you, but it involves some fiddle factor. Diane is savvy about such things, however, most people will face a learning curve. Otherwise that’s about the only other mid net option I’m aware of. Mid inners with floors are available, yet there is a complete dearth of nets. Sure, you can see cheap single pull nets all over EBay and Amazon, but good luck getting them to work in a way that keeps the netting off of you. That’s why I decided to make my own. I made the net in the pic below for Pocket Tarps, Gatewood Capes and other half pyramids. It would also work in mids 5′ wide or more though. It weighs 6.5 oz with the large L entry zipper, however, the weight could be much lower by going without a zipper (1 oz), using 7d silnylon strips for seams instead of 20d, using 30d instead of pack material for the peak, and making it with 0.50 oz noseeum (ground portion would still need to be .67 oz though). Net is 47″ high, 105″ long front and 92″ back. It’s long enough for people under 5′ 11″  but for someone over 6″ tall it would need to be higher and/or longer. I’m going to make another longer net soon with 0.50 noseeum and I’d be willing to sell some of them if I can get the process to go a little faster and if there seems to be a demand. Quite awhile now I’ve seen a lot of people asking about bug nets for mids and no manufacturer has stepped up to fill the need. I can kind of see why though because it’s not as easy as making an inner believe it or not. And a lot of inners don’t have the proper cat cuts to keep the netting off your entire body by simply tying off with shock cords.

And with a (heavy) optional Tyvek removable bathtub floor. Of course much lighter materials could be used.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Just gonna say that looks fantastic

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools