Topic

Massdrop X Windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Massdrop X Windshirt

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The new windshirt from Massdrop looks really intriguing.

sub 3oz

11 CFM

materials claims to be soft rather than garbage baggy.

Only $60

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-veil-wind-shell

The problem is with like many of the 1st run massdrop creations is that delivery is terrible with an August ship date.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah nice looking windshirt but 7 months is a long time to wait. I wish I had that kind of patience.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

OCD alert. The zippers don’t match.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Looks nice. A concern might be the DWR choice. In the comments the Massdrop rep mentions they used a silicone DWR and says that Nikwax, etc. could be used to revive once wore off. I’m pretty sure there is a compatibility issue between wax and silicone but not sure about fluorcarbon (Grangers, et al.) and silicone.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My eyes burn at the zippers not matching. 

Based on my experience with a Tachyon, Squamish and fauxdini, I’m only interested in windshirts that have higher CFM ratings and that come in light enough colors to wear them in the sun as an anti-mosquito layer.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The zipper miss-match is probably due to it being a pre-production sample. My guess is that both zippers will be oriented the same way on the production version (right now the pocket zip is just backwards compared to the main zip). This is a good question to ask though.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’ve never heard a person here complain that the Houdini zipper pulls didn’t match ;)

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

It isn’t a windshirt; if it has a full length zipper it’s a jacket It would be a lot lighter without the excess zippers even if it wasn’t as trim fitting

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@dannymilks my eyes are burning again!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Why I don’t wear my Houdini. Embarrassing, lol

Danny going to have one with you at the GGG?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

The pocket zipper probably has a double pull slider to stow the jacket in the chest pocket. YKK uses different slider shapes for single and double tab sliders. It’s frustrating trying to get exactly what you want.

-Tim

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Oh everyone is looking at the sliders. I thought the fury was because the pocket zipper is “backwards” compared to the main zip.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Does anyone actually stuff these things into the pocket?

Stephen Bing
    BPL Member

@stephbing

Locale: SoCal

I’ve stuffed my Houdini into it’s pocket for a half marathon when the weather got warmer so that I can stuff it into a running vest. Other than that, I stuff it into its pocket as a magic stunt for little kids.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

I use the pocket on my houdini pants. Makes it easier to grab other stuff from the clothes bag.

I have an older MH GW with a tiny sewn on pocket that is too tight to bother. Same for the Montbell hoodless wind jacket.

The rule for these pockets is that they have to be big enough that you can then stuff  it into a different shaped cavity in your pack, as opposed to making a hard ball that results in wasted space.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I have two Houdinis and nearly always store them stuffed in their pockets. One is a (hoodless) pullover, so the stuff pocket is down along a seam in the kangaroo pocket. I figure it makes it easier to keep them from getting damaged when shoved in a bag. The pocket isn’t a tight fit and the double-pull slider makes it easy to close.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

OK then. Back under the bridge for me.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Related/unrelated: has anyone successfully stuffed a Tachyon Anorak into its stuff pocket? I tried once and quickly came to the conclusion I would rip something before finishing.

Stephen Bing
    BPL Member

@stephbing

Locale: SoCal

Sometimes it’s better under the bridge.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Less windy.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Zippers match.

They are just different sizes.  I have my review up on Massdrop with a photo.

I would diffenitly size up.

Great wind jacket.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Similar.

Good to see you here Aaron

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Dead bird Squamish has different zippers like the MassDrop jacket but they share the same pull which is nice.

I don’t have a use case for a low CFM jacket but it’s nice they advertise it.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I have a 2013 Houdini, size Large, with the same measurements as the Massdrop X size Large. Thinking of replacing the Houdini as it has had a lot of hard use.
    The price is great but looking at the pictures… did I miss the giant reflective Massdrop logo on the front, back or sleeves?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools