Topic

Mask recommendations? (for smoke, not Covid)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mask recommendations? (for smoke, not Covid)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

My lungs and sinuses have taken a beating this summer from all the smoke and haze I’ve encountered here in the west. Can anyone recommend a mask that will filter out enough smoke, but also allow enough breathability for high exertion levels? The N95 masks I’ve tried are too restrictive and a bandana doesn’t filter enough. It appears that several outdoor gear manufacturers are now making masks, but I’d like to hear some thoughts from fellow BPLers before making a decision. Thanks for any advice.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Check these out. I don’t have one currently. I know of one lady that did think an N95 helped in a recent bikepack race. You might even try the local fire department and ask for their thoughts.

https://www.edcmag.com/best-masks-for-smoke/

matthew k

@matthewkphx

Ryan recommends two N95 mask options – 3M 8210V and
    3M 8211 N95 masks –  towards the end of the most recent BPL Podcast on The New Realities of Western Wildfires.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

3M model 8511 is the N95 mask comfort standard bearer. The other masks outlined in the EDC article pretty much sum up your choices.

Personally I carry the 8511s all summer and fall now

matthew k

@matthewkphx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!