Topic

Mantras, Mandalas, and Meditations: A hike through the hidden Tibetan Kingdom of Nepal – the Nar Phu Valley and Upper Mustang Regions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Mantras, Mandalas, and Meditations: A hike through the hidden Tibetan Kingdom of Nepal – the Nar Phu Valley and Upper Mustang Regions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff de Graffenried
    BPL Member

@mildred1-2

Companion forum thread to: Mantras, Mandalas, and Meditations: A hike through the hidden Tibetan Kingdom of Nepal – the Nar Phu Valley and Upper Mustang Regions

An account of a trek through Nepal’s Central Himalayan Nar Phu Valley and Upper Mustang region near the border of Tibet via an ancient trading route.

Bruce Johnson
    BPL Member

@bcjohnson

Thank you! This trek in Nepal is an interesting substitute for a trek in Tibet. The headline is misleading. I would like to do the Kailash circumambulation, but politics keep getting in the way.

Mudjester
    BPL Member

@mudjester

Lovely, Jeff ~ Contemplative walking is not only a longtime transnational Buddhist practice, but something I suspect is close to the heart of many wilderness-goers who are not otherwise intent on the radical liberation the Buddha realized. Eg. the sensory/spiritual vivacities you mention… Did you two go alone or with a guide? I understand a guide, or guided group, is now required for Nepal treks. I’d like to do something like this, but am wary of being guided by someone(s) insensitive to the contemplative way of going. If you have a recommendation, please.

Bruce – I did the Kailash kora a few years ago and was awestruck on multiple levels: there is nothing like it – anywhere. And yes, Tibet is an occupied country with all the nastiness, threat and grief that goes with that.

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

Nice story, Jeff. Though I’m pretty certain I’ll not make it to the Himalayas in this incarnation, it echoes a lot of the reasons I like to walk in deserts and mountains.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Excellent Trip Report!!

New information for those of you thinking you might like to follow Jeff’s  route.

Five years after banning solo adventurers from climbing Mount Everest, Nepal’s government has extended the restriction to the whole country. From now on, travelers who hope to trek in remote regions must hire a government-licensed guide or join a group.

Jeff de Graffenried
    BPL Member

@mildred1-2

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for taking time to read my post. I am sorry that you felt the title was misleading. I certainly wasn’t try to misdirect.  We certainly enjoyed this region and would return for further exploration, as there is plenty to see and do. The upper Dolpo region west of Mustang is even more remote and less visited and is also along the Tibet border.

Jeff de Graffenried
    BPL Member

@mildred1-2

Hi Mudjester,  I appreciate your comments and glad you enjoyed the piece. I agree that contemplative walking is something that many who spend time in the bush understand and appreciate, even if they don’t relate it to Buddhism.  Sensory overload is a common experience.  This trip was done with my wife and a guide that I have used before. These areas are restricted and a guide and special permits area required to lead a minimum of two people.  I use Manoj Tamang (he is on Facebook) he knows the people, processes and areas and will work with you to design the trip you want.  Tell him exactly the how you want to go and what it is you want to experience and he should be able to provide that for you.  This is my third trip along the Tibetan border, I find it magical.  Thanks for reading.

Jeff de Graffenried
    BPL Member

@mildred1-2

Hi JVD,  Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate you taking time to read the article.  Yes, hiking (especially alone) provide the opportunity to think and appreciate much that our daily lives don’t allow us to dive into.  Go to Nepal, if you have a chance. I am sure you’d enjoy the experience.

Jeff de Graffenried
    BPL Member

@mildred1-2

Hi Ken,  thanks for the additional information. Yes, Nepal has instituted the use of guides on all trips, which is a drag. However, in many of the areas along the border, they were already restricted and a guide and two people were/are needed.  If you get the right guide, it can be a worthwhile experience, as they should do what you want them to do and can make getting permits, etc. effortless.  They can engage and provide useful and interesting information or they can stay out of the way and meet you down the trail.  As with this trip, if things turn sour (and it can quickly), it can be a bit reassuring to know you have a skilled and experienced native speaking person along to help.  It can be extremely remote.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools