Topic

Machete for trail clearing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Machete for trail clearing?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Help me decide what to get. I’m looking to buy a machete primarily for clearing some very poorly maintained trails. But I’m sure it will come in handy for firewood or other tasks. It’s mostly woody vegetation up to maybe 15 ft high. Also tons of poison oak. Stems up to a couple inches thick. I’m not too worried about trying to cut a 10″ deadfall, but definitely want something I can swing and cut through some tough smaller stuff. I’m thinking 16″-20″ range would be best, any longer and I might have trouble maneuvering, shorter and it might be too slow to bother and hard to get the low growing poison oak. I’m looking at the following:

Condor Viking, 20″ blade, panga style. Longest of the bunch. Looks like this beast could make short work of most bushes, but it might be a tad unwieldy.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Tool-Knife-Viking-Machete/dp/B01JSFN9ZK/ref=sr_1_50?keywords=bolo+machete&qid=1561156624&s=gateway&sr=8-50

Condor parang, 17.5″ blade. I’m leaning towards this, it’s a bit lighter and the length might be just right, though I haven’t tried any machete so I’ll have to learn from experience or you guys.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Parang-Machete-Hardwood-Handle/dp/B004WMFNX6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Fiddleback forge 16″. Might be a bit too short, but perhaps a more well rounded tool to serve me better in yet unknown adventures.

https://fiddlebackforge.com/collections/field/products/fiddleback-forge-machete-field-knife-version

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

From my experience if the vegetation is woody and that tall but finger thick ( machete won’t do much beyond that) it is very slow going and messy. But that is me; maybe you can swing that thing much better than little me.

What is the vegetation exactly? Arroyo willow? Coyote brush? Ceonothus? Coffeberry? Or? Machetes will do if you have to get through things but they are not the best for actual trail maintenance for woody plants. If it’s berries and nettles and other herbaceous stuff then it’s easier going.

Then there is the fact that if you are on public land you are not allowed to do trail maintenance on your own, even if you know how and do a better job than those in charge; let alone if you go whacking about with a machete..

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Then call it cutting something out of my way, and not “trail maintenance”. I am not sure what variety of plants. All sorts. Mostly finger thick by the time it’s encroaching on the trail though. It’s already slow going, I just figure if I’m out there traveling so slowly and trying to push and break things out of my way by hand, I may as well have a tool for the job and make it easier. I have no experience swinging a machete so I’m sure I can’t swing better than you right now, but I’m very strong and have good endurance (due to gymnastics, weight training, bike racing, etc) so I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. Also it could be fun

I’m not lugging loppers along, and those I’m sure would be much slower for a thicket of twigs in my face. I just want something to quickly get the major problems out of my way.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I’m talking about Ventana btw. They have volunteer trail crews out there every weekend almost, but they tend to start at 8 am and there’s no way I can get there by that time, and usually if I have a weekend to get away I want to go exploring on my own. Though I have considered going down to help with some “official” work.

I would like to be prepared to hike through whatever the trail decides to grow at me lol.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

machete styles

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Image result for largest machete

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

YouTube video

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

They make them with a 12” bar

this is a 14”

just trollin now ;)

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

After looking at the 17 and a half inch one and reading the reviews, I placed an order for 1. not necessarily trail maintenance but 64 acres of wooden North Carolina mountains there’s always a sticky blood sucking vampire plant in the way, thanks for the heads up, never even considered a machete.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used to work where they used machetes

Occasionally, someone would hack themselves in the leg

Think about that when you’re using one – don’t get your leg

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A small saw and some pruners. Much safer, selective.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

If there is a giant bramble in the way, what am I gonna do with a small saw??

Yes, I’ve heard the horror stories. I like to think I’m more careful than that.

Chainsaw is a bit heavy.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

chainsaw offers even more opportunity to hurt yourself : )

hatchet is dangerous too, better to use axe

yeah, I use folding saw for trail clearing – 5.5 ounces – but that’s for small jobs

back when I worked, machete was good for wacking through blackberry brambles

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I watched some reviews, but they all focus on chopping and the tool itself. Having a hard time deciding between the panga and the parang. Both seem to be able to handle light chopping sufficiently.

The panga has a few inches of edge on the back, is thinner, and a bit longer, so may be the better choice for clearing brush. However, it is a bit over 2 lbs vs the parang which is much lighter overall, despite being thicker steel.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Swinging a machete in the Ventana sounds like a recipe for a world class case of poison oak.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Walking without one sounds like a more likely case of poison oak. Tho I seem to not react to it so far, I’d rather keep it that way and slash it outa my way!

Ordered the Viking (panga). It is a bit heavier, but seems better for clearing.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

We carried machetes in Panama and they do have some limited usefulness, but for light trail maintenance, I’d stick with Ken’s suggestion of pruners and a saw.

If you do go with a machete, we learned quickly that bigger is not always better.   The guys who bought the longer ones quickly ditched them for the shorter ones as they’re easier to work with

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

If there is a giant bramble in the way, what am I gonna do with a small saw??

Work your way to the base of the plant, and saw it off. This is tedious, but if the plant itself is at all woody, then slashing your way through is likely to require just as much work, and be less rewarding in the long run. Just to be clear, if the goal is simply to make it to the other side and back, a machete is likely to be your best tool. It may also be that a machete is your best tool for your particular capabilities or the plants. You may be extremely strong and fit, and make quick work with your sword. The plants may be long and leafy, with no real heft behind them. But it is also quite possible that what you are dealing with is plants that have a fair amount of wood, and chopping off those pieces at relatively random places is far less effective than trimming them as close to the base as possible. Regardless, I wish you were working on my favorite trail (it could use some help).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Get this one:

Condor Tool & Knife, Viking Machete, 20in Blade, Walnut Handle with Sheath

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Ross:

Yes, I have noticed that in many cases what really needs to happen is to clear all plants within 2 feet of the trail on both sides at the base. But as you say, while that may be ideal, I will likely most often have some fun making a decent trail for a short while but then just want to pass for a while.

I think for the combination of fun and maybe helping the next few people a bit, a machete would work. I ordered the 20″ panga, we’ll see how it fairs in the hands of a fairly fit yet untrained guy!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’d get a $6.95 machete from Harbor Freight (I’ve got one), play with it, and decide if I wanted a better, longer, shorter, or heavier one.

For a few types of plants, a machete works well, but I usually use a high-quality pull saw (which can cut bigger stuff) and/or small lopers.

I’d be very wary of slicing and dicing poison oak and aerosolizing the oelo-resins onto your skin and potentially into your eyes and lungs.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Another vote for pruning shears. They’re lightweight, easy to pack and can handle up to thumb size limbs. I kept a 4 mile riparian section of an AZ trail cleared with one.(Ballantine).

Machetes are great for jungles. Like in adventure movies where you see people hacking their way through vines, on their way to an ancient Mayan sight.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I don’t have much machete advice.  But I will advise to take an extra large first aid kit. Injury would be easy and could be significant.  Be safe.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Maybe look at Swedish Clearing Axe

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=10246&cat=2,42706,45794&ap=1

or a traditional bill hook/ Woodsman’s Pal.

Yeah, watch your toes with any of these things. I find a machete style blade good for taking off side branches but cutting back saplings close to the ground takes some care.

A decent pair of compund loppers with telescopic handles may be the safest most efficient option. Not cheap though.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Having lived in the tropics for many years I’ve seen enough of machetes to last a lifetime. Instead I carry a light pruning saw in a sheath and maybe a pair of shears on virtually every hike. Just stick them in the left-side mesh pocket long with sit pad and tent stakes. Fiskars makes some decent telescopic loppers that only weigh about a pound, but I haven’t seen the need for them yet. Just my 2¢

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools