Topic

Loving my new trail runners….and their not Altra’s!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Loving my new trail runners….and their not Altra’s!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

I know Altra’s are a fan favorite but I Have to say I’ve been really impressed with my Topo Athletic Ultraventures shown here with their gaiters.  One thing I love is their gaiters can be taken off and put on without taking off the shoe which I love!  I also think the shoe itself is made with a more durable fabric (or not as thin) and seem to be more durable but that is all subjective.  I have tried on Altra’s and that was just my first impression.  I know I’ve read some reviews on Altra’s not being as durable of a material or wearing out way to quick but that’s only from reviews which sometimes I take with a grain of salt.  The toe box isn’t as extreme as the Altra’s  but it does have a wide toe box which I love.  I was also hesitant to go right to a Zero drop shoe so I got these which are a 5mm drop which I haven’t had any issues with or noticed to much of a difference.  Another bonus is that they have some drainage gills that help release water and help the shoes dry quickly after stream crossings and fickle weather.  The one main reason I went with these is I’m a big fan of the Aggressive Vibram XS Trek 6mm rubber outsoles, which I think offers better quality, durability, comfort and traction.  Time will tell but I have put a lot of trail running miles on these and they have not disappointed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mine did OK but the midsole went first. Unimpressed.  Still searching

Crystal G
    BPL Member

@cee-gee

I have been searching for new trail runners to replace a pair of Altra Timps that split on me during a long weekend back in October.  They only had about 300 miles on them!  I tried these exact shoes (in the women’s version) and really liked them.  I have actually ended up with another pair of Timps (they fit so amazing on my feet) but the Topos are in “my pocket” and I may get another pair soon.  I also tried a pair of Hoka One One, but man, those gave me a massive blood blister within about 6 miles on a 16 mile day a couple weeks ago.  I get breaking shoes in (although honestly I never have had to do that with trail runners before) but thankfully I carried a second pair of hiking shoes – since I was trying new shoes for the first time.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I have both the Ultraventure and Terraventure, and they are, or were, the most comfortable, and best fitting, shoes I’ve ever put on my feet. Sadly, by the 150 mile mark the midsole in each had completely packed out. The new Ultraventure Pro has a rock plate and I’m wondering if that might help with midsole longevity, although the Terraventure also has a rock plate and that didn’t seem to do much good. I do hike in very rugged terrain though, so maybe that had something to do with the short shoe life. My search for the perfect shoe continues.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I have been using Terraventures and really like them but the new Ultraventure Pro looks like a great improvement.  Just wish REI had them during the sale, if they had I would have a pair now.

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I did some pretty gnarly off trail trips in Topo Mountain Racers this year. They feel great (though I had to size up) but I was surprised how quickly they started to break down. I actually got them to send me a replacement pair after only about 100 miles in the first pair. The toes developed a significant upward bend and the the fabric around the ankle quickly fell apart (I couldn’t figure it out – the fabric developed holes in places that didn’t see any contact with anything). I chatted with another woman a few months back who had similar issues with the Mountain Racers but not with other Topo models. I like them enough that I’m going to give it another shot with the Terraventures next. I like how they have more structure and stability than Altras. My Lone Peaks are terrible on anything slightly off camber or rocky.

My biggest complaint about Topo is the gaiters only come in man-size, even the small. They were gigantic even on my size 7 shoes.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Long time user of Lone peak Mids. Trying Topo Trailventures-after 150 miles I have found this- Topos have better soles-Vibram, toe cap isn’t peeling, body is holding up to rough desert terrain, doesn’t breath as well as Lone Peak but is adequate, not as comfortable as Lone Peak but not uncomfortable-just not the pillowy feeling you get for first 100 miles of Altras, toe box is roomy and adequate, heel counter is a bit less supportive of LP Mids but adequate.

Overall I would say they are slightly better for these reasons-sole is lasting longer, cushion while not as initially comfortable is not degrading, material is of higher quality-no rips, peeling, etc.

We will see what the next 150-250 miles bring. I never got more than 150 miles out of Lone Peak Mids before cushion was 90% compressed and gone, sole worn down to where I was slipping, to cap peeling off. If I can get 300+ out of the Topos I will be happy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools