Topic

looking for suggestions on project

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear looking for suggestions on project

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

I’m trying to create a make shift fire extinguisher using a small plastic bottle and vinegar and baking soda. It would be intended to stop the spread of small flames that lead to deadlier larger fires such as inside of a tent. To save weight potentially the vinegar and baking soda can both be in powdered from and pre measured inside of a small dispenser inside of a universal water bottle lid. The user would add the chemicals, shake and agitate and the pressure inside would efficiently create a light spray with a large surface area, measured to use the limited water supply and dropping pressure most efficiently. It should spray for 25-35 seconds potentially.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

A small fire blanket can be carried in a small pouch on your water bottle

Not sure why this thread posted 3 times…sorry

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Sounds like a neat idea. I’m trying to figure out how you can make it so you can use it quickly in an emergency</p>

R
    Spectator

@autox

Squeeze a bottle w/ your thumb over it.

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

Vinegar is water and acetic acid.  Even undiluted it is a liquid.  I once ran tests on soda bottle labels, we pressurized the bottle with citric acid (a powder).  You might try that with baking soda.  We wrapped the powder in a twisted piece of paper to delay the reaction to screw on the cap without losing pressure.

You might want to tinker with a sports bottle cap to see if you can make it into a spray nozzle.  So you would remove the cap, fill with water, drop in the pre-measured baking soda charge, then a paper wrapped citric acid charge and cap quickly.  Invert the bottle and open the cap to spray.  It might take longer than you want.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

As long as you are not using liquid fuel, water should put everything out by itself.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“To save weight potentially the vinegar and baking soda can both be in powdered from and pre measured inside of a small dispenser inside of a universal water bottle lid. The user would add the chemicals, shake and agitate and the pressure inside would efficiently create a light spray with a large surface area”

In theory that might sound right, in practice finding the bottle, mixing the ingredients and then spraying, may not happen as fast as it would need to.

I think that sacrificing a wool jumper (to smother the flames) or a small fire blanket or simply water would be easier to do.

But I am a known party pooper.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

If I wasnt clear. the idea would be to have a lid, that you carry with your bottle. full of water. swap lids fast, then hit the switch that dumps the pre loaded loaded charge. A mini extinguisher built into a lid that adapts to an item you already have handy when cooking. A small folded fire blanket can be carried along with it too. its light and compact. I have to do some tests with vinegar powder. I think adding Baking Powder with Baking soda might help speed up the process since it will agitate the water to help dissolve the vinegar which in turn might trigger the Vinegar + Backing Soda reaction faster. I am not a chemist. Just doing some basics experiments with common materials. Baking soda and vinegar makes for handy detergent for clothes washing btw…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools