Topic

Looking for a New Sleeping Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a New Sleeping Pad

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

My wide/long REI Flash pad was very comfortable, until it developed several leaks and I spent last night on the cold, hard ground.

I bought it before I got my Duplex. If I end up having another adult share my tent when we go to Philmont, a wide pad is not going to work. I’m a side sleeper who can’t sleep on his back, 6’3″ and 195 pounds. Philmont’s Bearmuda Triangle prevents you from keeping your pack in your tent, so a short pad with pack under my legs isn’t an option.

There aren’t a lot of options that I’ve found for light, long and regular width. The Big Agnes Q-Core SLX looks like it checks my boxes. I’m looking for thoughts on it or other good options.

Thanks!

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

It’s not regular width, but pretty well tapered, but I’ve been pretty happy with my Exped Synmat HL LW.  Also don’t sleep on my back.  I switch between side and stomach.  But the HL LW allows me to fit in my solplex and still have room for my pack at the narrow end.  I would think not having a pack in your duplex, but a second person with a normal pad, you could still do it, especially if you chose to go head-to-foot.  You still get a wide top when you curl up on your side, but it tapers at the bottom where you really don’t need the width as a side sleeper.

Just an option to consider.  They are pretty light and you can get the same pad in 3 different R-values depending on what you need.  I have not experienced the baffle blow out that other people have reported.  I think that was an earlier model/design.

-Chris

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

A wide pad works fine in a Duplex along with a second person — so long as they don’t have a wide too. Worked fine for my wife and me on the Wonderland this year.

I’d love to shed some weight and move to 20″ pad, but as a side sleeper with knees drawn up some, that puts my hips towards the edge of the mat. On a regular, that puts my hips in the edge collapse zone…

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’m researching that Exped. It would be nice if REI carried it so I could check it out in person.

It wouldn’t be right for me to use a 25″ wide pad and tell the other adult he must use a 20″ wide pad. He’s a few inches shorter than I am, but not narrower than I am.

I side sleep exclusively and only pull my knees up if I’m cold. There are ways to prevent being cold, particularly summer at Philmont, even at elevation.

I have a NeoAir Xtherm I bought used in regular/regular. It’s workable, but I either have my feet off the edge, which is uncomfortable or my pillow the same height as the pad, which is not comfortable for me. Based on my experience with that pad and the REI wide/long, the wide/long is the most comfortable, but I could be fine with a long/regular.

Sleep is an area I don’t want to go stupid (for me) light. I’m not doing a thru-hike, so if a few extra ounces means more sleep, it is worth it. I also need to be considerate of a tentmate.

I think my best solution would be long length, regular width (mummy shape would be OK), quiet, light if maybe not ultralight, reliable and comfortable for Philmont weather.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Two full grown men in a Duplex sounds tight unless they’re intimately close. Shelters being as light as they are now I won’t share.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Similarly, I’m a reasonably large side sleeper.  I moved the the TAR Xlite large several years ago and am no longer interested in researching pads :)  Works very well for me and at 16 oz, the few extra pack ounces is WELL worth it for the comfort and functionality.  The no-questions-asked Cascade lifetime warrantee seals the deal.

PS: I don’t camp on snow, so the XLite is all I need.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I suppose if 2 people get mummy shaped long pads like the Xlite and do head to toe, it would be tight, but workable.

I’m hoping to go solo in my Duplex. I don’t know if we’ll have 2 or 3 adults going. The other one most likely to go MIGHT need to tent with his son for a medical reason. But, if we’re required to share, I need an option that works.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Good point — 2 large mummies will work head-to-toe — just. You’ll need to lower tent height about 3′, though. And yes, it will be intimate…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

3’?

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

3’?

I’m pretty sure it’s a reverse Spinal Tap error.  :)

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

LOL, meant to be 3″…

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I just got a Nemo Tensor Field Insulated. It’s full length (72 or 78”), 20” wide, 3” thick, rectangular shape. Weight on my scale was around 19oz if I recall. They make a less insulated, less durable version  that’s a few ounces lighter. It packs just slightly larger than my xtherm.

Ive only used it twice so this is a very preliminary impression. I’m 6’, 200#, and exclusively a side sleeper. So far the comfort is better than my Neoair Xtherm. It feels more stable and the edges don’t crumple as much. It’s much quieter too, it lacks the crinkle factor that I can’t stand about the xtherm, although the top fabric is  just a bit “squeaky”.

Certainly warm enough for cold 3 season use, not sure about on snow use.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools