Topic

Looking for a new pack – potential options?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a new pack – potential options?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’ve been using a Z-Packs Arc Haul for my week long pack for loads under 30 pounds (I have a Seek Outside pack for heavier loads or longer trips).  It has carried fairly well for quite a while, though it does rub somewhat on my right lower back (not the left for whatever reason).  The real reason I am looking at other packs is the stay has started popping out and it can be pretty annoying to fix, particularly in the field.   I really would like something with a simpler suspension system.

Here is what I would like – though I am not sure it exist

Around 60L volume (the Arc Haul is about right) for week long trips with a bear canister.

Aluminum stay (or stays) Stay(s) attached to hipbelt and load lifters

Load Lifters

Fits a 22+” torso (Tried SWD-torso wasn’t long enough)

Dyneema X, X-Pac X21, or similar

Roll Top closure

Around 2lbs

Full wrap hipbelt with hipbelt pockets

I generally will be carrying 25lbs or so at the start of trips, I would like to be able to carry up to near 30 comfortably if needed.

Does this pack exist?  I really like the way my Seek Outside pack carries for longer trips or heavier loads, but just haven’t fallen in love with any of the other lightweight packs I have tried recently (My last fell in love with lightweight pack was a frameless SMD Sift back in ’10 – but I can’t sleep on a Ridgerest anymore).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I almost forgot a huge thing- It must have water bottle pockets that I can get 32oz water bottles in and out of with the pack on.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Perhaps the Gossamer Gear Silverback. No load lifters. Without lid and sitpad, it’ll be about 35oz on size large. They seem to be on clearance now, but I am wondering if they’ll come out with a 2019 version. My wife and I tried the medium one, which seemed to be the right size for us torso wise. But the shoulder straps twisted in a funny way and we sent it back. Hope they keep it in production and fix the issue, as it was a very nice pack.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

When you say tried SWD – are you saying they would not  customise something for you-extend the torso?

I understood they would. They seemed really open to customs when I typed at them.

I was going to mention a SWD Long Haul 50?

That is 50 internal and 10 out? I have it all in VX21.

Cheers.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I tried a large.  I did not ask them if they can do an extra large torso and that may be the best option.  It’s a little smaller than I prefer, but they might be open to modifying that too.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

Maybe this…

https://katabaticgear.com/shop/onni-v40-65l-backpack/

Once you add hipbelt pockets (sewn-in as an option) the L comes out to 38 oz.

The liteskin version would be 32.5 oz but that does not include side compression straps.

It does not quite meet this stipulation: “Aluminum stay (or stays) Stay(s) attached to hipbelt and load lifters”. There is a single stay in the middle, but the panel transfers everything well. 35lbs is a realistic upper limit and the belt and load lifters work as you would expect them to.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I’m interested to see what packs others suggest. SWD seems like they would be your best option – they could not do a custom extra-long torso length? I know they will do full dyneema-X.

I can’t think of anything else that would not require you to compromise somewhere (fabric, side pockets, or weight). The Hanchor Marl is close, but over 2 lbs. A size Large Katabatic Gear Onni in V40 is listed up to 22.5” torso and would weigh about 38oz with hipbelt pockets. The Liteskin option would be lighter but less durable. Maybe contact Zimmerbuilt and see about getting a lightweight makeover done on your Seek Outside pack? Lots of weight could be saved by sewing the shoulder straps directly to the pack bag and using a thinner hipbelt.

The Northern Ultralight Sundown meets all of your requirements (supposedly fits a bear can), but the volume is not 60L. Their video and pictures make it seem a lot bigger than the 36L main compartment listed though.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Lot of great pack options. Not sure where the frame attaching to the hipbelt falls on your list of priorities… But the Silverback and other Gossamer Gear packs feature it. Some of the more custom manufacturers may be able to accommodate it.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

The customized Massdrop Granite Gear Crown x60 fits most of your requirements and is a true bargain for only $120 shipped.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Elemental Horizons Kalais sounds like what you’re looking for.  Will Rietveld has a great review on his blog.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

ULA Circuit is a bit over your 2-lb limit (41 oz), but seems to cover most everything else.  Best bottle pockets ever made.  Hipbelt pockets large enough to actually use.  68 liters total, including all the pockets and such.  CF stays, load lifters, room for bear can, roll top.  The XL fits up to a 24-in torso (I’m 6’5″).  I love it.  I’d buy it again even if it were heavier.  Did I mention the bottle pockets?

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

Following with interest. LOVE my SO Divide, but thinking about getting a 2 pound framed pack for sub-25 pound loads. Haven’t researched heavily, but 3 that have caught my eye are SWD, KS Ultralight, and GG Mariposa. Not a fan of the fabric of the latter, though. Bit reluctant to go custom due to lack of returnability.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

G’day Brad, the one I referred to all in VX21 (standard is VX07 body and VX21 for the bottom) is 875 grams for reference. Yes, send Brandon or Ashley an email, they were most accommodating with me here in Australia. I got a top pocket, one shoulder pocket and the dual adjustable belt. That belt is wonderful for getting a perfect waist/abdomen fit. I also like that the backpanel is sealed so the padding can’t move around. My understanding is they will even build one in DCF.

Cheers.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North
    Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I would second the Katabatic Onni.  The LiteSkin fabric is plenty durable and the V40 is overkill for most users.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

@ iago – I will have to check out the GG Gorillia if they release a new model.  I had a GG Mariposa Plus from ’08-’10 and it was a good pack.

@ GrahamF – I may have to email SWD and see if they can do an XL torso.  It seems to check most all the boxes otherwise.

@Mordecai – I had dismissed the Katabatic packs as the water bottle pockets didn’t look like I could get a water bottle in and out of them very easily, but after looking again that might not be an issue.  How easy is it to get water bottles in and out of the pockets with the pack on?

@John
    – I had never even heard of Northern Ultralight….hmmm

@Rick
    M – My wife has a Granite Gear Crown 60 and I could never live with the water bottle pockets – totally unusable IMO.  Good price on the pack though.

@Five Star – I will check out the Elemental Horizons.  I thought they were all too heavy, but haven’t looked in much detail.

@Todd
    – I have considered the ULA Circuit – other than weight it does seem to check most of the boxes and I wonder if I can cut some weight from it.  I have a Conduit and the water bottle pockets do work well.

@Alex
    – I tried the Exped in 2015 and went with the SO instead.  It seemed like a good pack, but the water bottle pockets were terrible.

Keep any ideas coming – I’m looking at a few that I wouldn’t have previously due to the suggestions.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The Katabatic Onni’s side pockets are easy to get a water bottle in/out.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Do you have the V40 version or the 70D version.  I think V40 seems like it would be a really good pack fabric.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I have the older Artemis in V40 and the newer Onni in Liteskin. V40 is an amazing pack fabric. It’s very durable and waterproof. I strapped it on the back of a kayak once and paddled down the Willamette River for 3 days. No problem with my stuff getting wet inside. It’s kind of nice to not have to baby the Artemis at all (I often prop it up against rock or logs to use a back-rest), but at the same time, V40 feels over-kill for trail hiking and easy off-trail hiking.

I got the Onni in Liteskin to save 8oz in weight and get a mesh back pocket. It seems durable enough. I wouldn’t describe it as “bomber” or anything. I feel like Dyneema-X would be a happy medium.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

“@rick M – My wife has a Granite Gear Crown 60 and I could never live with the water bottle pockets – totally unusable IMO. Good price on the pack though.”

Brad, if you read the description you will see Massdrop addressed the water pocket issue, modifying the Crown 2 design by having the pockets cut at an angle. Also note this modified design is based on the Crown 2 and includes all the improvements over the original Crown.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

No worries Brad-one thing I forgot to mention-I can put my entire hand in the SWD Long Haul pocket both right and left when wearing it.  It will easily take 2 smart water bottles on each side and the elastic will work to largely hold the bottles in if you tie your laces for example whist wearing it. The top elasticity of the pockets can be micro-adjusted to whatever pocket tautness you require.

There has been a lot of discussion on here recently around the Hanchor Marle.

Is it no good for you?

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

I have been trying to find the same pack. I have an MLD Burn (38L, 14.8oz) now for weekend trips and a SO Divide (74L, 52oz) for big trips. I’m going to try a 50L Atompacks Prospector (~30oz?) for my in-between pack. Should get it by Christmas. I’ll report back eventually.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The Katabatic Onni’s side pockets are easy to get a water bottle in/out.

They are the easiest to use side pockets I’ve ever had.  The flip side is tall/skinny bottles can fall out if you don’t pack it right.  I pack one of my side pockets with a sit pad towards the back so my SmartWater 700ml fits snug and secure in the front half of the pocket.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Are people finding the SO Divide too bulky for lighter loads? Is it the volume or load bearing capability that’s overkill?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The Hanchor Marl is a contender but heavier than I would like.  Reports are that the XL Torso is 40oz.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools