Topic

Looking at lighter headlamp choices……

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking at lighter headlamp choices……

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I have a flashlight conundrum that I’d like to throw out to those more knowledgeable than me, which should include most of you. After using various Black Diamond headlamps that seemed too fiddly, and after a really bad experience where the light accidentally switched on in my pack and left me in the dark when I most needed it, I switched to a Zebra Light H52W (I think) with very few problems….easy to twist to prevent accidentally turning on, works well, AA batteries, 3 modes of 280/50/3 lumens. 2.9 ounces with a battery and headband:

In the pursuit of weight reduction, I recently purchased a Maratac AAA Stainless steel beauty for about $39 on Massdrop. Battery: 1 AAA, Low mode: 5 lumens, 60 hrs, Medium mode: 48 lumens, 4 hrs, High mode: 160 lumens, 75 min. It seems plenty bright, and weighs .68 ounces, plus 10 grams or so for a AAA battery for a total weight of a little more than ¾ of an ounce:

And a silly little nothing that actually works really well…..a Nitecore Tube that that cost $10 or so, recharges with a usb cable, weighs 9.6 grams and puts out 1-45 lumens. More of a backup, but one that could save the day:

I have an upcoming 11 day Sierra hike and I’m actually thinking about leaving the Zebra Light and the perfunctory 2 spare batteries (.9 ounces each) at home, in favor of the Maratac (and AAA battery spares, and the Nitecore, for a total savings of roughly 3 ounces. I know most folks favor the AA lamp types, and wondered if there were any success stories in favor of a more modest setup. What do you think or recommend?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I hiked the JMT in 2015 and used my Nightcore Tube exclusively. I used my BD Spot(?) exactly zero minutes. I doubt I will ever carry a full headlamp again on a trip.

I picked up a Maratac AAA Ti on Massdrop for pretty cheap and actually have used it for night hiking out of Havasupai clipped to the bill of my hat. I found it totally adequate.

I now consider the Tube my primary and the Maratac my secondary. I have one extra AAA Lithium battery in my FAK.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Unless I’m mountaineering or doing prolonged night hiking, a 1 oz Petzel e+Lite has met all my 3 season backpacking needs, including multiple trips in WA state and the JMT last year. You could even carry an extra as backup for less weight than most other headlamps.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

How do you use the Nitecore Tube? Does it have a hat clip?

I’ve got a Nitecore NU20 – replaced the headband with some shock cord and a cord lock (there are some handy holes on the headlamp to route it through to help keep it stable) and it weighs 1.1 oz total now. Works well – I’ve used it for night hiking. I’ve been thinking of getting the Nitecore Tip though so I can clip it to my hat, and I like its aluminum casing.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ah. I don’t use the tube as a headlamp. I usually keep it on a small loop of 1/16″ shock cord that I girth hitch around a belt loop or the trekking pole holding up my tarp in camp. I hold it in my mouth occasionally but if I need a hands free solution I switch over to the Maratac.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Unless I’m mountaineering or doing prolonged night hiking, a 1 oz Petzel e+Lite has met all my 3 season backpacking needs, including multiple trips in WA state and the JMT last year. You could even carry an extra as backup for less weight than most other headlamps.

+1 for the e+Lite for the same reasons.

Spare CR2032 batteries can be had cheaply thru Amazon. I haven’t tested run times against expensive ones purchased at the local drug store but they seem okay.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

I use a Nitecore ‘Thumb’ kinda the big brother to the Tube. Does the tube have a hat clip on it? I have been told it does and doesn’t, it doesn’t show one in any photo so I’m guessing not?

Tom V
    BPL Member

@rockbox

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

cheap headlamp on aliexpress

That one is almost identical to an older version of the Mammut S-lite

Not a bad little headlamp.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@scottx no clip on the Tube.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Consider this one. https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Rechargeable-Lightweight-Headlamp-Tactical/dp/B01N1ERYAN

1.6 oz and rechargeable. I will probably talk myself into getting this since I would love to not have to worry about checking and buying / replacing lithium batteries at the beginning of each season anymore.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools