Topic

Loofah Tarp Snakeskin / Cleaning Tool?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Loofah Tarp Snakeskin / Cleaning Tool?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter K
    BPL Member

@poolsocks

I see people use unraveled loofahs as tarp snake skins.

I’m thinking that when I need to shower, I would take off one of the loofah snake skins, bunch it up, a couple of drops of soap and get to scrubbing.

What do you guys think?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What’s wrong with a bandana? I like using one and it gets cleaned at the same time. The snake skin just seems like more hassle. Do I really want to partially unwrap something to bathe?

Peter K
    BPL Member

@poolsocks

Well, I always bathe right before bed. I set up my hammock/tarp then go about bathing.

Maybe a bandana will work, hadn’t thought about that.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The lufa idea is clever, but a bandana has 1000 uses. You might be able to bundle your tarp with a bandana.

I use a “bishop bag” for hauling my hammock and tarp. It is a mesh drawstring stuff sack with one of the bottom holes widened a bit. That slips over the head end of my whoopie sling suspension and I can stuff hammock and tarp in it. It is light and has good ventilation to aid drying. I put my tree straps in last so deployment is to put up the head end tree strap, clip in the whoopie sling and pull out the hammock and tarp as I walk to the other tree, hook up the foot end and then start hanging the tarp. The bishop bah just sits at the head end. It aids stalling drips too. If it is raining I can still get the tarp out and hang that first to keep me and the hammock dry. I like having it all in one bag— forgetting your tree straps or the like sucks :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve done the loofa snack skin thing. It doesn’t do much and I wouldn’t want to have to take down one end of my tarp in order to bathe.

I have two short pieces of cotton sash cord that I use as drip lines on my Amsteel suspension. I use those to tie up my tarp about 1/3 from each end when I’m packing up or if I want to hang my tarp but not deploy it (nice weather but I suspect rain will happen during the evening).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools