Topic

Lightweight tripod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Lightweight tripod

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Does anyone have suggestions for a light tripod that I can pack in my daypack or at least my backpack? I have an old one which is quite heavy and unruly for what I want to do now. I have a little Gorilla pod but I want something that can telescope.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

There is no free lunch when it comes to tripods- some weight is needed for rock-solid performance in wind.  You can always find something light, but you may be disappointed when using it. Of course the size and weight of your camera completely dictate your options. I don’t know anything about super-UL tripods, but to use my heavy full-frame equipment at eye height when traveling I take a very compact Me-Foto. It appears that they now offer a “backpacker” one as well. Some attachment to use your trek pole as a mono-pod is the lightest way if you don’t need extended exposures.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If wind isn’t an issue, and your willing to fiddle a bit, something like this might work –

Details

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Donna – do you hike with trekking poles? If so, that opens up some good multi-use options for your poles to be used as sturdy tripod legs.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ian turned me on to the Sirui T-025x and T-024x carbon tripods. Around two pounds with ball head, each with a hook on the bottom to hang something heavy to help better stabilize in windy conditions. My only gripe is rubber feet instead of spiked feet, but that’s a very minor gripe. I got the 024 and like it quite a bit, though I haven’t had a chance to take it on a backpacking trip yet.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Unfortunately wind is often an issue. One can lock down at the points, spread the legs wider, and can weigh down everything by a suspended weight in the middle, but even then if the tripod is not substantial the connection between camera and tripod, ball head or whatever, can disappoint in wind. If you can live with a tabletop tripod then that is probably the lightest way to go.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Maybe I should rethink this. I don’t think I will take it on any backpacking trip. I would use it for day hikes or just to get outside and shoot. I really want to take it to Death Valley which will be day hiking and trying my hand at astro photography out there.  I do use trekking poles but that seems very unstable. I don’t need fiddly.  I have a Sony a6000 which is light for what it does. I certainly will take a tabletop size pod, though. I just need to experiment some more out in the field.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

“… astro photography …”

Long exposure star tracks right?   (versus tracked long exposure shots)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Yes, Greg. I hope to capture some shots of the Milky way if possible. I’d like to do so without the tracking of stars. I’m a beginner with all of this and the learning curve is more about letting go and just shoot.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I sometimes do carry a Sirui T-025x for shooting nightscapes for 2-3 day trips and I also have that 9oz. Tamrac Tripod with the fiberglass tent pole legs which can work if you know what the limitations are and know when it won’t work.

That said, I wouldn’t carry the Sirui tripod on a long trip due to the heavier food weight.  I’ve had decent success just sitting my camera on a large boulder or sometimes right on the ground and some stuff sacks to position and hold the camera where I want it.  I’ve been able to get some descent shots of the Milkyway that way over the years.  Tripod is the way to go if you want to stitch together or stack photos by post processing, though it’s not absolutely required.

Memorial weekend backpacking trip in 2017 on the PCT near Kennedy Meadows. 5 photos stitched together having used the Sirui tripod.  Camera was a Sony 6300.

Photo taken from 2014 on a thru-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail using a micro 4/3 camera bought in 2011.  Taken on a boulder with my wallet propping it up.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Really nice..I will be creative for a tripod right now.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I picked up a a little tabletop Manfrotto for the a6000 and it also comes with a cell phone attachment. This will work just fine.

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

I picked up a a little tabletop Manfrotto for the a6000 and it also comes with a cell phone attachment. This will work just fine.

Curious which model you purchased… gearing up for a trip myself. Have you used it backpacking yet?

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

PEDCO UltraPod II Lightweight Camera Tripod  works well for me.  Supports my Sony mirrorless and anything of lesser size.  Its only 6 inches, so you need a rock if you want higher positions. I use a JOBY Micro Tripod for my point and shoots.  It will not support the Sony.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thread drift but maybe helpful to people who find their way into this conversation. After several years of searching and three unsatisfactory products, I’ve finally found a phone tripod I like. It’s secure, adjustable, compact and robust. It allows me to make minute adjustments that are difficult using rocks and my headphones act as a remote shutter release.

Joby Griptight Micro Tripod

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you go the full tripod or even table top route, you probably want a Arca Swiss quick release plate compatible with, if not specially manufactured for your Sony camera. The generic ones with cork on the bottom often slip and slide at the wrong moment.  For examples of plates specifically made for Sony see https://www.acratech.net/categories/quick-release-plates/sony.html  If you wonder why pay extra, the plates made specifically for certain models have edges and grooves that help prevent the plate from moving once it is attached to the camera forming a stable mechanical link between the tripod and the camera itself.

Also you will need a quick release clamp for the Ultrapod II such as the Neewer Fish Bone Style Mini Quick Release Screw-knob Mount Clamp Adapter Compatible with Arca-Swiss for Tripod Head, Black Color.

Manfretto has its own system that it completely incompatible with the Arca Swiss “standard”. The Sirui tripod kits come with a Arca Swiss compatible ball head and should come with at least one clamp.

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

yeah i am looking for something that would be compatible with the arca plate with my peak design capture clip system. that Ultrapod tripod looks like it would be perfect, but it appears like these table top tripods don’t accept a plate at all.

any recommendations on either an adapter or arca table top tripod?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Manfretto and others sell the screw adapter. For example here” https://www.amazon.com/Foto-Tech-Convert-Adapter-Ballhead/dp/B00OKYWWMG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529369419&sr=8-3&keywords=tripod+screw+adapter

But the Newer Clamp is in fact an “adapter” that holds the Arca Swiss plate from Peak Design or any other vendor.  I also sometimes use the PD quick release (QR) plate but it is a generic QR plate and will sometimes slip.

Cheers

Bruce

robert tilley
    BPL Member

@roberttilley

I just bought the AOKA 28in/1.1lb Lightweight Compact Carbon Fiber Tripod with 360° Ballhead from amazon. It is short but very well constructed. I use either  Fuji XT-3 or a Sony RX100V6 with it and both are steady. It is just what I wanted. I have a Benro Carbon fiber travel full size tripod which is great but it is 2.5 lbs.

Don G
    BPL Member

@griffd

Checkout the Oben CTT-1000L at BHPhoto.com , it weighs 1.1 # and while not very tall is solid enough for a DSLR.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools