Topic

lightweight belt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightweight belt

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Looking for a lightweight hiking-oriented belt for pants that don’t have a built-in belt. It needs to be thin in thickness so as not to irritate my hips when carrying a heavy pack. Any suggestions? A lot of hiking clothes have no belt and it’s hard to get the waist size to be exactly right..hence the need for a belt.

Thanks in advance!

Keith T
    BPL Member

@keith-t

Locale: Western Central Sierra

This same question was posted to r/ultralight yesterday. (Maybe it was you!) The most popular response was the Arcade belt. I have no personal experience with Arcade.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I just use a 1″ webbing strap. You can buy one or make it, cut it to your preferred length.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I have a Groove belt or Hilltop sells a cheap one.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve got lightweight nylon pants that came with, basically, 3/4″ bias tape and a 3/4″ Fastex Ladder Lock (the bit that lets you adjust the shoulder straps on a day pack).  Very very light.  And low profile.  If the Ladder Lock doesn’t grip that thin webbing well enough, you can take a file to the teeth and make them sharper and grippier.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Rather tahn a belt, you might consider getting your pants tailored for a perfect fit.  Less weight anyways.  My 2 cents.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I bought these 3 years ago and they are the only belts I wear…work, hiking, everywhere. Low profile and stealthy.  Inexpensive as well.

andrew elmore
    BPL Member

@drewelmore

I really like the Patagonia Friction belt.  https://www.patagonia.com/product/friction-belt/59179.html  62g/2.2 ounces.  Simple & sturdy.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Thanks for all your suggestions!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Rather tahn a belt, you might consider getting your pants tailored for a perfect fit. Less weight anyways. My 2 cents.

That wouldn’t work for me. My waist size changes by enough to matter (I’ve never thought to measure) over the course of a day of hiking. I think it’s just my stomach emptying and water weight dropping.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I made one like what Dan posted, with the side-release buckle.  I used grosgrain instead of webbing.  Adjust to any size.  Weight: 7 grams.

simon t
    BPL Member

@slippery-salmon

Montane Loop belt.  30g.  Been using one daily for over a year.  https://montane.com/products/montane-loop-belt

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

it doesn’t get more lightweight and minimal than a shoelace belt https://www.lacordathreads.com/

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

or 4 mm paracord – 10 g

I use that and 4 mm elastic – enough to keep my pants on if I’m not carrying anything in pockets

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That Montane belt looks like a nice solution that I’d rock in daily life too. Are there any sources in the US that don’t charge $LOL for shipping?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The problem with pants belts is what happens when the pack belt presses against them.
    The solution is to use a pants belt that has as little thickness as possible, and then use a sidearm pack that is open at the front, so there is nothing that presses against the minimal pant belt and your gut.

I’ve hiked with this arrangement for decades, and the comfort has dwarfed anything else, and kept me backpacking comfortably. The only concern was the weight of the sidearms, and that has been greatly reduced by use of Easton .340 alloy tubes bent to shape, an approach developed by Roger Caffin with his “Rolling Jenny” tube bender. Will post when the latest design, with an hourglass-shaped frame with a suspended mesh backband , is completed. The latter has been developed by LL Beam and Osprey, among others, and the key is to allow just enough stretch in the band to allow the wearer to bend over., but keep the weight around the hips when standing up. Osprey sometimes missed the boat on that one, but not Beans.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

JCH

I followed up on your belt tip.

Very satisfied.

Thanks

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Daryl and Daryl

Glad you like it.  Lack of any metal makes air travel calmer as well :)

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I am considering belt options also.  This is the one that I just ordered, which is inexpensive.  What makes it a bit different is the stretch webbing.  If I am understanding this correctly, it should help conform to wrapping through belt loops while staying flatter against my back, for less irritation under a pack waist belt.

I have no experience with it yet.  But I plan to use it for work and hiking.

From the website description:

Stretchable–Nylon strap with proper stretchability,it provides a best comfortability to adapt the waist varies in different movement or feeding;

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

I use the webbing strap from REI that comes with the quick release. I’ve used the same two for several years every day and had no issues, they still look new.

$10 for a pack of two. I have the older version that is all black, the newer version has a bit of red trim.

https://www.rei.com/product/214311/gear-aid-1-utility-strap-package-of-2

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I have one of these. 1 1/4″ webbing with a lightweight plastic buckle. It’s a pretty minimalist belt and fits comfortably under my pack. I’m think they used to be cheaper:

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I ended-up ordering, and receiving the Montane Belt.

At first glace it seems like about right! It’s thin (low profile) and adjusts easily, and the buckle is small. I do believe it will do the trick. I will report back after some use.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, MUCH appreciated!

Mustard Tiger
    BPL Member

@sbpark

Locale: West Coast

I’ll second the Patagonia Friction Belt. I’ve had one for over 20 years. Wore it when alpine and ice climbing, hiking, camping and then wore it for years as a work belt. Still have it and only stopped using it maybe 6 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools