Topic

Lightweight base layer bottoms since Cap LW are gone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight base layer bottoms since Cap LW are gone?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Odlo  has a number of lightweight options.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

@sbhikes

Because I don’t use a wind shirt or wind pants (my rain shells pulls that duty), but good point.

@bj-clark-2-2

Thanks.  Just got the Peloton 97s (hoody & zip pants), coming in under 10 oz combined, that I’m going give a go.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

+1 on the Costco 32 Degree Heat. 2 bottoms or 2 tops for about $12 unless they are on sale for a few bucks less. I wonder why more folks don’t use them?

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

+2 on the Costco 32 degree tops. Great value, 3 colors and not much more stinky than capilene after a few days.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Another thumbs up to Montbell. If you’re not stuck on synthetics, the Montbell merino lightweight bottom is 4.4 oz. sz. medium. I find them super comfy, almost like wearing nothing, but warmer. After a recent 5 day trip, worn only in camp, there was no funk at all. I also like how quality merino can adjust to the temperature, on this trip low 60s to upper 30s.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Bill. I just got the super merino lightweight crew shirt & I agree.  Very nice.  Already picked up the Peloton 97 bottoms (4 oz), but may have to add the Montbell bottoms at some point.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

For lightweight, you’re not gonna beat Alpha Direct bottoms from Senchi Designs, Timmermade, or Skylight Gear.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have been told these are the same material as the Lighweight Cap/OR Echo though I have no personal experience.   Who wants to order some and see?

https://www.terramarsports.com/products/terramar-sports-mens-transport-pant

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

This isn’t my picture but apparently this is a picture of the Terramar fabric next to the Rab Pulse fabric (which is the same as the Cap LW and OR Echo)

https://i.imgur.com/1YaZvcR.jpg

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

REI Silk long john bottoms… they bin makin them for decades:

https://www.rei.com/product/802212/rei-co-op-silk-long-underwear-bottoms-mens

Shmedlap
    Spectator

@13th

Nice work Brad. They look all right.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

I saw elsewhere that these Terramar undies are also being compared to Sitka.

Can’t say for sure, but I’d be very surprised, as Pat., OR, and Sitka are all high-end brands with good products in my experience, while Terramar is not.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“+1 on the Costco 32 Degree Heat. 2 bottoms or 2 tops for about $12 unless they are on sale for a few bucks less. I wonder why more folks don’t use them?”

Because they’re cheap! A lot of people fall for the trap of price being a signal of quality. Which it rarely is….

I really like the Costco 32 degree tops and bottoms. I buy them when they’re being cleared out at the end of the season – you can always find them discounted at the Costco website even after the stores no longer carry them.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

@Eric B – I’m sure the fabric isn’t identical.  The person on Reddit who took the picture said one notable difference was in the stink factor.   While both OR, Rab, and Patagonia, which all appeared to use the same fabric in their Echo, Pulse, and LW Cap, respectively are all premium companies.  None state the fabric source, as Patagonia does with their heavier weight Cap (Polartec Powerdry) so my guess is Polartec doesn’t make a powerdry that light even though the fabric uses the same principle.

The fabric itself may be different on the Terramar but since they make bottoms and people are looking for replacement LW Cap bottoms, they might be worth a shot.  I wonder what the weight of them is?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools