Topic

Lightweight base layer bottoms since Cap LW are gone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight base layer bottoms since Cap LW are gone?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I’m looking for lightweight (synthetic) base layer bottoms like Cap LW.  Spoke with two Patagonia reps (one in person & one on phone) & it appears the Cap LW bottoms are gone for at least a year. Use case is sleep bottoms that can double duty if needed.

Thoughts?  Can’t seem to find any around or under 4 oz.  So far considerations are:

OR Enigma (5 oz)

Sitka Core Lightweight (4.6 oz)

Patagonia Thermal weight (4.7 oz)

Thanks! Steve

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Not marketed as a baselayer, but the Capilene Cool shirt might do a nice job.  Don’t make bottoms tho.

There seems to be quite a bit of Cap 1 and Cap 2 for sale on eBay.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Here we go again…Patty discontinuing a good product!

Have you looked at REI or Eddie Bauer? I have a pair of each (not sure how old they are, I’ve had them for at least 3 years)….pretty sure I’ve seen them at REI this season.

I have the Patty thermal weight stuff too. Good for cold sleeping but I find them too warm to hike in.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

JCH- The Cap Cool looks good & I plan on getting some for next to skin – wish they had bottoms.  Bottoms are the challenge.  I checked eBay with no success- I’ll look back. Thanks.

Bob – Thanks, yeah Cap Thermal is generally too warm you’re right – crazy how they’re as light as a lot of these other Uber-thins.  Have looked at REI & EB but haven’t found what I’m looking for – which is the sub- 4oz synthetic bottoms. Thanks.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Scott- The zeo line looks interesting (I prefer synthetic).  I kind of remember reading about stink in these, not sure. Any experience w them. Weight is good!  Thanks!

Anyone have experience w Zeoline?

Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

Yes, Montbell synthetics get really stinky fast.  However my link to the merino wool blend base layer bottoms I found has lots less stink, comfortable and still dries fast.  I mainly use the tops and like them.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Scott.  I’ll check the wool blend out!

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Patagonia continues it’s circle down the drain ala North Face.

I don’t do merino or wool-blend synthetics (synthetic only please).

The best substitute for the Patagonia lightweight baselayer’s I’ve found are from Outdoor Research (Echo line).

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I have used OR’s mens Enigma bottoms. They’ve been decent.

They are mostly synthetic, + 12% wool.

They feel better than 100% poly.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Brad, too bad echo doesn’t have “legs”.  Likely I’ll snag a hoodie though – good reviews for sure.

As I said, I like synthetic, but perhaps new blends are worth a look. Lot more choices.  Mont-bell’s new 85% Merino 15% Poly light weight tights (thanks Scott F), OR Enigmas – pretty much the opposite, mostly poly with a little Wool, and what about Black Diamond Solution 150 – 78% wool 22% poly.  Seems most product managers are moving toward a blend w mostly wool with a little poly.

Parker
    BPL Member

@rwparker35

Locale: Columbus, OH

I use the Patagonia Capilene Cool shirts, both short and long sleeve, and love them. I actually like them better than the older Capilene LW version.

For bottoms, I was in the same boat as you. Was bummed to find out they stopped making the Capilene LW bottoms and that they weren’t going to make Capilene Cool bottoms. Don’t understand that.

So, I tried out the Montbell Zeo-Line LW bottoms. Worked well. Didn’t like them as much as my old Capilene LW bottoms though.

I then tried out Montbell’s new Super Merino LW bottoms. They weigh about the same as the Zeo-Line LW bottoms (approx. 4 oz.), but I like them a lot more. They are very comfortable, insulate well but also breath well when needed, and they don’t hold in the stink nearly as much. They are much more expensive though ($69 vs $34).

If you don’t mind the extra cost, I recommend giving the Montbell Super Merino LW bottoms a try.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Looking at the Xmas catalogs that arrived last Fall, it seemed like everything was merino wool, and little or no synthetic fleece.  So am wondering if this has to do with the news that fleece sheds and pollutes.

First we were told that the fleece was made out of plastic soda bottles that would otherwise create a disposal problem.  Now we are told that the fleece pollutes every wash day.  We are in the midst of a climate crisis among other crises, and dramatic changes are needed to save us.  But instead of retooling for those changes, we shut down fleece, without a mention of retooling fleece.  It is all about the bottom line, and I’m sick of it.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Rob P, how’s the sizing on the Super Merino Montbells?  I’m 5’10” 170 w 34(ish) waist.  Don’t mind a tight or looser fit really in the legs – just don’t want to get cut off at the waist. L?

Thanks

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Paul S,

any thoughts on Enigma vs Montpellier?  Seems the two top options right now, one mostly wool & one mostly synthetic.

thanks!

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

“First we were told that the fleece was made out of plastic soda bottles that would otherwise create a disposal problem.  Now we are told that the fleece pollutes every wash day.  We are in the midst of a climate crisis among other crises, and dramatic changes are needed to save us.  But instead of retooling for those changes, we shut down fleece, without a mention of retooling fleece.  It is all about the bottom line, and I’m sick of it.”

Plastics are made from the waste products of oil production. If we reduce fossil fuel use—

Can’t buy a reasonable woven wool shirt anymore, even places like Woolrich are making the handful you can find half synthetic, from China, thinner and for twice the price. Filson and Pendleton much reduced in the number of styles as well.

Then there is cotton, once again being produced by the enslaved, this time Muslims in China. Patagonia “Organic” even.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I’m burning too much time on this base layer/sleep layer/etc research.  Just realized the Cap Thermal Weight bottoms (have friends that love them) are only 8 grams more than the Montbell LW Merino.  Tempting to just go with that, hoping they’re not too hot (for sleeping anyway).  Jeez.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have been pretty darn happy for two years now with Costco’s 32 Heat base layers. Bottoms are 5.5oz. in XL.

https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-men’s-heat-pant%2c-2-pack.product.100508321.html

Parker
    BPL Member

@rwparker35

Locale: Columbus, OH

Steve H – In regard to sizing on the Montbell Super Merino bottoms, they are pretty spot on with their size chart. I am a 32×32 pant in just about everything. According to the Montbell size chart that makes me a medium in these and I have found that the medium fits me very well. They are tights, so they are form fitting, but not too tight. If you are a 34 waist, I would definitely recommend a size large.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Rob, & all.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Scott F- I’m about to snag some of the Montbell merino bottoms, and peeked at the lightweight LS crews you mentioned.  Very interesting.  How do you think they’d do in a layering system with a Cap LW tee, Montbell crew, Peloton 97…..(+shell, puffy…)?

Also, how’s the sizing?  I assume it might be a little diff than standard US Mfrs.  I’m 5’10”, 170-175, athletic build if I stand just right ;|

Thanks.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Oh, & (Scott F), are they translucent?  Leaning toward the silver for coolness.

(temp not image)

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Rob P – I PM’d you on a sizing question. Thanks!

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Picked up some Kuiu Peloton 97 bottoms on the gear swap.  Size Medium are 4 oz on my scale. Just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Assuming “base layers” are what you wear when you are cold or sleeping, why not just wear your wind pants and wind jacket?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools