Topic

Lighthouse to Bridge (November 2018)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lighthouse to Bridge (November 2018)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Obligatory first post.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Heading south into Bolinas, early in the morning, late in November, I am filled with confidence bordering on hubris. That is to say, yesterday went well. Fears that simmered like background static for the weeks leading up to the trip were met and conquered, perhaps even with style points. Fear number 1 was simply getting to the starting point. Normally my family would drive me but they are visiting relatives in Austin. I must temporarily leave the security of my warm and fuzzy introvert shell and ask friends. Which also means explaining my idea/route and tucking my tail between my legs if I bail-out. At 43, with a wife and kids who are 8 and 11, I will abort for safety without a second thought, but with all the time alone will I get my head so far up my ass that I give up for no good reason? It’s happened before. Fear number 2 is smoke from the Camp Fire. Would it be safe to walk? Would I need the N95 mask someone gave me? Is walking in the smoke much different than being a backpacker that smokes? Fear number 3 is drowning when crossing a ¼-mile stretch of nearly open ocean on a glorified pool toy; further explanation is not required. Fears 4 and 5 are simply hiking at night (in a spooky forest) and stealth camping (weirdos come out at night, like vampires?). In my fear hierarchy these last two rate pretty low, and in fact when I’m backpacking with my children they don’t even register on the scale. Being alone tips the scale.

It’s now morning and these fears are history. My last significant challenge, crossing the Bolinas Lagoon, is minutes away. It’s only 250 feet across. Sometimes, on hot summer days, we drive over to play in the water and I swim back and forth for fun. This time I’ll have a packraft, paddle and life jacket. Crossing is such a certainty that I planned to abandon my life jacket at the Limantour Beach parking lot (after the ¼-mile crossing) so I wouldn’t have to carry it for the rest of the trip. Maybe I’ll even swim just to make it more challenging. Then I reached the water…

To read all about my walk from the Point Reyes Lighthouse to the Golden Gate Bridge (almost) click on this link to access my Google Photos album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PRZckhbQi5UqkvmB8

…then read the captions associated with each photo. Note that I’ve only uploaded a few of the photos here onto BPL. The route is marked with numbered pins in the Google Earth image below and each number is described below; cumulative distances in miles are shown in brackets. Distances are approximate as the route includes off-trail sections, older seldom used trails, beach sections, road walks, etc.

1 – Point Reyes Lighthouse [0]
    2 – Drake’s Beach Parking Lot [4.5]
    3 – Drake’s Estero [6.0]
    4 – Coast Campground [10.5]
    5 – Wildcat Campground [18.5]
    6 – Palomarin Trailhead [24.0]
    7 – Bolinas Lagoon [30.0]
    8 – Stinson Beach [32.0]
    9 – Dipsea Trail / Highway 1 Junction [32.5]
    10 – Dipsea Trail High Point [35.5]
    11 – Muir Beach [40.5]
    12 – Tennesse Valley Beach [43.5]
    13 – Rodeo Beach [45.1]
    14 – Julian Trail [46.6]
    15 – Golden Gate Bridge North End [50.0]
    16 – Golden Gate Bridge Midspan [50.8]
    17 – Marina Blvd. at Baker St. [53.4]

Map of the Route.

Point Reyes Lighthouse from Marinas.com.

Heading south from Drake’s Beach. Note that I couldn’t start from the lighthouse as it was closed for repairs.

Redwood forest along the Dipsea Trail.

Looking north at Muir Beach.

Looking South at Tennessee Valley Beach.

Sunset over Rodeo Beach.

Bay Bridge, San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“…but with all the time alone will I get my head so far up my ass that I give up for no good reason? It’s happened before.”

This made me laugh.  Every solo hiker has probably experienced some version of this.

Thanks Casey!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

ahhh…  she must have thought you were a homeless person

backpackers need food, for example appreciate trail angels : )

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Beautiful photos, inspiring countryside, nice use of packrafts.

Thanks!

— Rex

JStanky
    BPL Member

@jstanky

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks for posting this.  Did you actually post up and camp anywhere along this trail or did you walk straight through the night?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

What an awesome trip! Unique, too. Part wilderness, part city. Really super cool.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice trip. Looking forward to catching up in a couple weeks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools