Topic

Lightest stoves that can handle stormy weather?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest stoves that can handle stormy weather?

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Once the stove is shut off using a special “turnkey” :), the skirt can be slid downward to expose the pot handles. Wait 15 seconds and then open the handles and grasp with gloved hand.

The 650ml pot is nice for boiling 550ml of water. The head room does not allow boil over.

The “turnkey” is an extension of sorts that slips over the wire shut off doohickey making it safe and easy to shut off the gas.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Dan, that looks nice – any details on the windscreen?
    The actual pot stand is not visible in the videos.

Also, the above images/videos don’t work for me

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I guess it all depends on what “browser” you use to see the photos. I use google Chrome.

The windscreen supports the pot at the rim, just like a caldera cone.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Hey Dan, I can’t see the pics in either Safari or Google Chrome…

Are you going to be putting any of these Toaks 650 systems for sale on your website?  Or are these experimental prototypes?

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

+1 on the Foster Can. After a few uses it’s really easy to puncture the can putting it in or taking it out of the cone,and compared to a (wider, shallower, more useful) titanium pot the weight savings is about nil. Toaks 750 for me… Maybe Zelph can help!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I can see the photos and videos that I posted.

My photos are on the Google cloud. I go to the cloud, Right click and “copy” a photo, bring it here and then right click and select “paste” and look and behold it gets onto the thread where  I can see it. I use a Chrome Book as my computer. We need the “moderators” to comment on why some can see and not others.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Dan, you’ve probably copied the internal link. Try logging out of the Cloud and you should see it’s not working here. There is probably an option to copy the public URL.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Dan, yeah, I cannot see them either. I tried three different browsers, with and without addblocker. I don’t have a google account.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

testing links

Links didn’t work.

I logged out and the links did not work. Being logged out I can still see the photos on the 1st page

will continue to work on problem.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We need the “moderators” to comment on why some can see and not others.
    Firefox here, latest version: all photos and videos visible, despite ad blocker etc.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

That’s interesting Roger, I just checked with FFox and they don’t work.

Example link: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zmAo2qXJsZZOYT4jyPG5OW1Lk3JhKaFQHrvqNdxXq9pMFTIzrx1KR3MU_YBcawp_M_Se4dwwrX_2Rb_sW9FXCCqIM57lq1vac1VVTbHkRj21eoWeQJbEqN8YYMST2Y3F-lMt_jsPdP0Z57k78NvCxx_bYot91fSx01h5XamOTrPD_JnmneC4yBUeYbnWB38bDf-hs8JktfaJSSs6G1x5ZwCm_AnnMQdRuPx7nFqCjOeFIKopMdkFCg1qE-Ev0s1Sf89Di_Y9V3th266ggHMs1RP1I8z_P_hyGq0FxwQX_H4TfvT33z0zq9AqCvAy_9gxhwDXIyUhR7tFSyO8IRluVDTYD2Mhq2wF4aC5mbYQHVqF74-tVXJvlBMOPG3HddpAusJveYoSIhUaUIyDmdc0vwE1soShtEoRKxUsHfqrQBRQKaV7PN-N0OXazz1bMII6qod9Md605OhfTCCG3Kss-rEw3ZVkQoBgX44V-mUW2oI94anOodk5RnXoWBwsoCyoyPJMbiM5HxBjsULFGrgHHUM_A3VeAWvuBjjcAWNPne7Zjki2uPOzKJ-iRiZVCVMvVKZ3-NIemEYIRw8RIC5KdUcl4dNenalxaKC4=s641-w481-h641-no

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Can everyone see these now?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

All pics and videos visible still.

Cheers

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I can see them now…whatever you did it worked for me….Thanks!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Great!

How about this video?

YouTube video

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Visible from here.

Cheers

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I’ve never had any trouble with any of the videos in this thread.  I couldn’t see the pictures in post # 3591099, which I still can’t see.  However, I can see the pictures in post number #3591273, and the video in #3591282.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Looks good now. Thanks Dan!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The sweet smell of sucess :dblthumb:

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Dan, that looks nice – any details on the windscreen?
    The actual pot stand is not visible in the videos.

The verticle ribs support the pot at the rim. The connecting seam supports the pot on the side where the pot handles are located. At that location there is about 2 inches of material that touches under the rim of the pot. Material used is titanium.

The ribs are spot welded to prevent excessive expansion, helps maintain grip onto pot so it doesn’t slide down during heating of water(canister stove skirt) .

Are you going to be putting any of these Toaks 650 systems for sale on your website?  Or are these experimental prototypes?

I’ll be doing some extensive testing for the next week to make sure everything is good to go. Need to see what alcohol stove will work well with the pot support/windscreen. So far the esbit and remote canister work well. The system is very stable, support extends well beyond the diameter of the pot, no need for a cone shaped support. Cones were originally designed for tall, full size Foster beer can pots. Todays pots are short, close to the ground. Straight wall pot support/windscreens are very efficient.

I will be making 2 dozen Toaks Light 650 kits during the next week utilizing the straight wall design.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools