Topic

lightest sleep pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest sleep pants?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I am a warm sleeper and prefer to sleep in underwear and a tee shirt when backpacking down to the high 20s. This setup works well for my other than my bare legs touching my NeoAir pad which get uncomfortably sweaty.

Any thoughts on a really lightweight solution to this problem? I have some 150 weight merino long underwear buttons that weigh 157g but they are warmer than I really want.

Maybe I should switch from a 20° quilt to a 30° quilt? (Most of my backpacking trips are spring/fall in NE AZ or summer in the Sierra).

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The Costco 32 Degree Heat bottoms are a little over 4 oz in size medium and are inexpensive and very stretchy (blend of three synthetics plus spandex). Also look in the ladies department of Kohls for Slipshorts or the full length variety – very thin, seam free, light and stretchy nylon/spandex blend.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I have been using the Montbell Dynamo wind pants (2.7oz sz L) to sleep in for the last couple of years, including my thru hike of the AT. I only use it to help keep my bag clean.  It’s expensive for that purpose but it has other uses and I have read of people using it as their main pant on the AT. However there are probably cheaper options.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

What about a thin old t-shirt slipped over the pad?

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Have you looked at Terramar Thermasilk? They are light (2.97 oz in medium), breathable, and only very slightly insulating.

I typically sleep in my hiking pants, but on trips where there is a lot of precipitation in the forecast, I’ll often bring the Terramar silk bottoms to sleep in. If things get cold, they can be added as an insulation layer while on the move.

I also have the Dynamos. I haven’t thought of using them to sleep in. Interesting idea–thanks Jeff.

A 30 degree bag/quilt might do the trick, too. But if a 20 degree is otherwise good, you might end up a little chilly with the 30 degree, while still having local clamminess betwixt legs and pad.

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

I have the thermasilk pants. Was going to recommend them as well. Super light and soft – great for sleeping.

However they’re so thin and sheer that they are see through. Something to keep in mind.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t see wind pants happening. I already hike in long pants. Thank you for the suggestion, I’m sure it would work better for some other people.

I’ve been meaning to stock up on TP and granola bars. I’ll have to cruise the women’s section at Costco while I’m there.

Adam, are you talking about Terramar Thermasilk? I thought I had a pair of those but cannot locate them right now. I think they are a thin synthetic material despite silk being in the name.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Tee shirt around the pad might work!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Yes, those are the ones. They purport to be silk:

The tags on mine are too warn to be legible, and I am not qualified to differentiate between silk or a synthetic, even with the product in my hands.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have a pair of actual silk baselayer bottoms and they are nice for warmer weather, where you want something but not a lot. They are Lands End and 100% silk. I’ve had them for more than 10 years of regular wear. Despite the thin soft fabric, they’re tough! They also weigh very little. However I bought them in pink and they are definitely not a pretty pink at this point. Bad choice of color!

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Aside from some 7D wind pants, I think the Terramar Thermasilk are the lightest. No idea if mine are actual silk, but they are very light and add almost no warmth. Other ideas would be some knee warmers or a light bag liner (MLD makes one that’s 2.8 oz)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Amazon is delivering some Thermasilks tomorrow. I’ll have to take a nap on the NeoAir this week and see how they work. I’m hoping they solve the problem and I like the idea that I can use them for a little warmth during they if the need arose.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A little late, but +1 to silk bottoms. And considering how light weight and breathable they are, imo/e, they do actually add a bit of noticeable warmth (but of course, not a lot by any means).

This is because of the physics of material and structures involved. Silk is fairly thermally non conductive, the fibers are rather small/thin (before more recent synthetic microfibers, silk fibers were some of the smallest/thinnest around), and are trilobal shaped. Smaller fibers still air better than larger fibers, and more shaped fibers still air better than very round and smooth fibers.

Hypothetically speaking, you could get a fairly warm set up by alternating some loose’ish silk layers, with some more bulky layers, and then use an a low air permeable, tightly woven, wind resistant outer layer. It won’t compare to a true lofted type insulation, but it will be fairly warm for the weight.

If I remember correctly, some of the first western based mountaineers to climb Mt. Everest, primarily used alternating layers of silk and wool as insulation.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Wow these are thin. I’m hoping they solve the problem.

In case anyone cares, 2.8 ounces on my scale in medium.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Any thoughts on a really lightweight solution to this problem? I have some 150 weight merino long underwear buttons that weigh 157g but they are warmer than I really want.

Maybe I should switch from a 20° quilt to a 30° quilt? (Most of my backpacking trips are spring/fall in NE AZ or summer in the Sierra).”

Switch to the 30 degree quilt and buy a lighter pair of long johns.  There are many that come in around 4 oz/113-14 grams.  This does not address the tradeoff between weight loss and bank account loss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools