Topic

Lightest Non-Bivy Shelter for 2018?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest Non-Bivy Shelter for 2018?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Saw an experimental shaped cuben tarp at Cascade Locks with a skeeter netting skirt hanging around the perimeter .. ground cloth and pad needed to close it, no bathtub floor.   Ability to be a bit higher than a bivy but can also hunker down almost like a bivy.  Not on the market now, soooo

Wondering what other super light options there are for the next yr?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

What shape was the tarp? Something like an MLD Patrol or a mid?

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Neemors world just posted a video with John Zahorian and I believe there’s some images of the prototype palante shelter. Maybe that’s what your seeing.  28 seconds in

YouTube video

Edit: really just looks like he cut open the mesh on a hexamid at 33 sec and then at 4:21 it looks like a solo tarp with mesh around it just hanging.

YouTube video

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

For 3 season use …Unless something new comes out I’d go with zpacks duplex 2 with carbon fiber poles… I mean it’s like under 2 pounds for everything and holds 2p… that is under a pound of weight per person …and it’s got everything , net, bathtub floor etc. and it’s not overpriced as hell it’s very reasonable at $599 or so (if another company had this, and were making these, they’d almost certainly charge $800-999)

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I’m very interested in this.  Duplex is overkill for those of us who already own a Solplex or Hexamid tent and want to go lighter.  My Hexamid Solo comes in around 17 oz including guylines, stakes, and cuben floor.  I think the Solplex is pretty much identical in weight.  For 2018, I’m considering either switching to a Hexamid TARP (no netting) with the same cuben bathtub floor and a headnet (around 12 oz including stakes) or cutting off the netting on the bottom of my Hexamid.  The netting works great, but when it gets wet it adds quite a bit of water weight and doesn’t dry out in my cuben pack until I find an open spot with lots of sunlight.

As for John Zahorian, it’s my understanding that he’s been using a modified Hexamid with the netting cut off the bottom for a while–he used it last year to hike the CT anyway.  I think for the GDT this year he used his own prototype shelter, which he lists as weighing in a 7.5 oz.  I don’t know if that includes stakes, though, likely not.  I think some of these gear lists are deceiving because they don’t include the little items that add up.

https://lighterpack.com/r/dcycwl

Personally, I think the Hexamid is the best design out there in terms of space to weight ratio and simplicity.  One pole–more stable than the Solplex (feel free to disagree).  I have broken a pole on more than one occasion…I definitely do not prefer a head entry tent like the one that is shown in the video you referenced, which appears to be John Zahorian’s new prototype.  The Hexamid is the perfect size for me, allows you to sit up, is strong and stable.  Near perfect shelter, just not 100% happy with the netting on the bottom–adds unneeded weight and collects moisture.  The perfect shelter for me would probably be a Hexamid with the netting sewn to the cuben bathtub floor–anyone know someone who can do this custom modification?  Joe doesn’t do custom work anymore.  :(

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

David, I picked John up at a trailhead in AZ in early May. We talked about shelters as we were driving and he mentioned that he felt a flat tarp with a net skirt was a really good solution. I’m assuming that’s the tarp shown in the video above.

I’m mentioning this because you could probably exit on the end or side depending on the pitch. I’m guessing a side exit would work nicely in anything other than a total storm pitch.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Big Sky Intl Wisp, advertised as 10.6 oz in DCF

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Does 10.6 oz include stakes and guylines?  Likely not. Zpacks is always meticulous about mentioning the little things that add up.  Interesting shelter though.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Seven Lawson Ti stakes (6.5″) weigh about 45g, and this thing appears to require very minimal guy lines… a few grams of 1.2mm Z-line… so that’s still going to be pretty good, say 13oz all up.

Not my thing, but something that might be of interest to the OP.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Hope I’m not hijacking the thread here too much… but since the Hexamid was mentioned, I thought I’d post a pic of mine, in case someone is interested. It’s the original version with an added on extension to make it more of a tent, complete with zipper. There’s netting around the perimeter. My MYOG cuben poncho lays on top of the netting for the floor/groundsheet.

With 9 ti stakes and a MYOG over-sized sil nylon stuff sack/food hang bag, it comes to 9.71 oz. The poncho weighs 3.6 oz. I love this shelter!

Here’s a pic… in a funky pitch along Big Creek in the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return:

Jesse Jakomait
    BPL Member

@jakomait

I’m very interested in this thread and want to see where it leads.  I own a Duplex and while it’s the best shelter to withstand anything there are plenty of weekends where it feels overkill.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Rusty,

Can you post a pic of the front where the perimeter netting is?  Seems like it might be a pain to get in / out without a zipper.  After further thought and consultation with Joe, I think cutting off the floor on my Hexamid would be a bad idea, as it might only save 2 oz or so.  Maybe better off just to have two shelters–the tarp version and the netting version?  Or maybe just a Hexamid tarp and a Solplex when you want to fend off bugs?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Wondering what other super light options there are for the next yr?

How about the Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp at 4 ounces? Seems like a workable option for SUL trips with minimal change of precipitation or high winds. I’ve never used one, but it’s definitely a step down in weight from the standard Hexamid shelter. Bob Moulder used to have one – he may have additional insight and details about it.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Lester, you’re correct, I had the .34 Pocket Tarp and sold it, and now kinda wish I hadn’t.

When I’m solo and using my Splash clone bivy it probably would’ve been an ideal combo. I was using the Pocket Tarp with a polycryo ground sheet and got wet a couple of times. But that sure was one heckuva a light and compact setup, weighing about 7.5 oz complete with stakes.

However, the .51 Hexamid Solo with the storm flaps doesn’t weigh a bunch more (5.8 oz basic, about 9 oz with guylines, 8 lawson stakes and stuff sack) and has far better coverage for the inevitable wind shifts during the night.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

I think I might have mentioned this before, but I ran into a guy while thru hiking the CT this summer and he had modified a pocket tarp with a beak to give much better rain protection.  He said that he wanted to get rid of it because the light color made it blindingly bright in direct sunlight.  Bob, did you ever encounter this issue?  On another note, how did you deal with bugs with this setup?  Headnet?  I’m thinking of going with the tarp for next year.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

David, I guess it is bright with the sun directly on it but it has not bothered me.

if it isn’t too buggy I’ll use a bug bivy or the Splash bivy if it’s also a bit cool. On a trip with a variety of weather and bugs, if there are no bug problems I sleep on top of the bivy… ground cloth mode, or cowboy camp mode, and no tarp at all when precip chance is nil.

When it’s super buggy and they attack at every opportunity, I just carry the Duplex. I made the mistake of carrying the tarp+bug bivy for a 2-night trip to Pharaoh Wilderness in the Daks in May and it was miserable. Got some nasty bites right through the net and an infection (more like a really bad allergic reaction) on my neck that took about 6 weeks to heal completely. Nice to have one of the ‘plex tents in your quiver, for sure.      :^)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

David,

It does have a zipper. And whilst on the subject of the door, either side of the entry can be tied up out of the way. Below are two pics neither of which are shown with it set up optimally…but it will give you an idea.

EDIT: I should also note that the pitch angle was changed (steepened) on this modified Hex.

rusty

Door tied up.

Door down but left unzipped.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

how did you deal with bugs with this setup?

A good full-coverage bug net option is the STS Nano Mosquito Pyramid Net, weighing in less than 3 ounces. It can be “sealed” by tucking the elasticized perimeter under a full length sleeping pad. Easy entry and exit by just lifting up a side and pulling it over your head. It’s a good step up in protection from a head net, but much lighter than a standard bug bivy or inner net tent. Just make sure it’s the “nano” version as the standard version is a couple ounces heavier.

This bug net works great out West where mosquitos are the main annoyance, but probably not a good option for no-see-ums, or if you make a habit of camping on ant hills. The netting does sag a lot, so you’ll have skin contact with the netting on your forehead, outer arms and legs/feet, unless you’re inside your quilt and wearing a hat.

Here are a few BPL threads about this net:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/sea-to-summit-nano-mosquito-pyramid-insect-shield-net-shelter/
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/99986/

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

@Lester,

Yes, I’m familiar with that setup, but when I keep doing the math it makes sense just to stick with my Hexamid Solo tent with floor netting.  The difference between the tarp (no netting) and the tent is 5 oz.  That means that if I wanted to, I could probably shave 1-2 oz of weight by cutting off the floor of my Hexamid tent.  I asked Joe about this, and he said this was probably the best way to create a Hexamid tarp with perimeter netting, but he wasn’t a fan of the idea.  Insects can sneak in with perimeter netting and there’s a lot of fiddling with rocks, etc., to have it lay flat.  At the end of the day, it might just make sense to keep the Hexamid tent intact and have two shelters–a tarp for when bugs aren’t too bad, and a fully enclosed shelter for when they aren’t.  My only real complaint with the Hexamid with floor netting is that it sometimes accumulates moisture due to being directly on the ground.  It’s not terrible, but it does add some weight when it’s a rainy day and you have to pack up in the morning.

For continuing my Colorado trail hike next summer, I’m thinking of just leaving the Hexamid tent at home and bringing a Hexamid tarp with a headnet.  The mosquitoes are the only real problem in Colorado, and they seem to go away after around 8-9 pm when the temps drop into the 40s or 50s.  This obviously will depend on whether you are camping near water, such as a lake.  I’ve never done tarping before in Colorado, but it seems like it could work if you are up early before they show up again.

If I were hiking in the east, such as the ADKs or worse–the south, I would never go without my Hexamid with full bug protection (or maybe a Solplex–I keep going back to the Hexamid for its ease of setup with one trekking pole which happens to be the same height which I use it for hiking during the day).

Anyone else have experience with tarping in the Rockies?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I had a Hexamid SoloPlus. I now have a SolPlex.

The SoloPlus had a net floor, and I added a Zpacks Duo groundsheet that extended well into the “wedge” towards the back, and was more than enough to keep all of my gear out of the dirt, and above any running water.

The groundsheet in a SolPlex is a rectangular 30″ x 89″, and not nearly as functional for “other gear”.

Lightweight is certainly important, but functionality is worthy of consideration.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Greg,

Out of curiousity, what’s your Solplex with lines and stakes?  I’m right at 17.0 oz for my Hexamid Solo with lines and stakes.  I use micro line locs and Z-line (1.25mm?).  Stakes are ZPacks carbon core.

With the tarp setup (with cuben bathtub floor), my Hexamid could come in at 12 oz with stakes.  5 oz weight saving plus the saved weight of a damp netting during prolonged rain.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

David I’ve used a tarp/head net combo on the CT. Now to be fair it was late August/September but it worked. Also done it in the Canadian bush. If you are hiking till dark and not lounging around in camp you should be fine. I do carry a 1oz bottle of 100% DEET but I rarely use it except in Canada.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

David,

My Solplex is 15.30, stuff sack 0.30, Easton 6″ stakes: 8 x 0.28 = 2.24.  Total: 17.84 oz

I don’t recall the details on the Hexamid. Sorry.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Tarptent Notch? 1 lb. 11 oz.

Yeah, not the very lightest but you get a double wall floored tent, not just a single walled “cover” W/ no floor.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Eric,

My Hexamid SoloPlus with a net floor plus a clip-in Duo bathtub floor was around 18 to 19 ounces.

The Solplex comes with a sewn-in bathtub floor and is 15.3 oz, as noted above.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools