Topic

LED lanterns?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LED lanterns?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I’m planning for an upcoming 11 day river trip with my two kids (I know, not backpacking, but I trust everyone’s opinion here!)   Looking for suggestions for an LED lantern.  Ideally, this would be something small-ish with a warm white light (I’ve tried a couple lanterns, and really prefer the warm white light from my snow peak gas lanterns, but would like to switch to LED if I can find something appropriate.

I will be bringing a few Nitecore 18650 batteries, so ideally I would find a lantern that takes these batteries as well.  It appears that not all 18650 batteries are the same (i.e., Goal Zero uses a proprietary connector that isn’t compatible with the more “standard” Nitecore Batteries.

Any suggestions?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Snow peak has some great warm light lanterns, but I the one I have is 3x AAA – the color/tint is much more pleasing than the cool white LEDs used more often..

I would love something that would use 18650.

Consider solar lanterns like Luci as well.  Not sure if these are all cool or if there are some warmer LED versions.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Check your PMs.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I too find many LED lanterns harsh.  I wrapped one of them in semi-transparent Scotch tape and it helped a lot.  One can come up with similar alternatives.

I considered gently sandblasting the clear plastic, but no longer have access to a sandblaster.  Probably could chemically etch the plastic to fog it up, not sure what to use.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

A lot of lanterns don’t spec this but LED lights can be found with color temperature ratings.  5000 K is a pretty bright white light (and somewhat harsh) and 2700 K tends to be a warm like an incandescent bulb.  I would avoid the 5000 K LEDs.  My 2 cents.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Luci Lights – we take them on river trips and they are superb.  Lightweight, solar charged, we take a bunch for late fall hunting when we have long nights in the tent.

https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-outdoor-2-0-f2017

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I wish they would post the LED color.  Maybe on candlepowerforums?

Luci has a candle lantern that flickers.  https://mpowerd.com/collections/shop/products/luci-candle-f2017

BTW, the Goal Zero lighthouse mini has a replaceable 18650 battery

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Fenix CL25R lantern. Takes an 18650 battery, is pretty indestructable, has a red light and a blinking light mode, plus 3 solid light levels, runs a long time.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44923

I’ve been following this one. It’s far from UL but should be very nice for extended trips and am looking forward to it’s release. Downward firing for me is a must in a lantern as is a warmer tint, 2500k-3500k.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Here is the wirecutters choice, UST 30-day duro.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-led-lantern/

windsor ak
    BPL Member

@windsor

Locale: MN

Nitecore LR10 if you are bringing a battery pack that can be used to recharge it.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

…. Probably could chemically etch the plastic to fog it up, not sure what to use.

Acetone (nail polish remover) dissolves lots of types of plastic.  If you wipe it on and clean it off it usually ends up pretty fogged.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

There are many versions of the solar Luci lantern – the one we got as a gift seems to be on the warmer end of the spectrum, and has 3 levels.  The plastic is also clouded, so it’s not glaring like some of their models.

https://mpowerd.com/collections/shop/products/luci-lux-f2017

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

A photography instructor recommended using a partially-inflated plastic grocery bag as a cheap flash diffuser. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work for a lantern.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

This is along the same line to what Sharon is talking about CRUSHABLE LANTERN SHADE L or this World’s Lightest Camping Lantern (and cheapest too) .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools