Topic

Learning Curve: Breaking Loose

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Learning Curve: Breaking Loose

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

BPL Columnist Maggie Slepian wrestles with safely expanding her skills without getting in a rut.

Learning Curve: Breaking Loose

Scott Chandler
    BPL Member

@blueklister

Locale: Reno area

As I tell my newbies “If we go that way, we’ll eventually cross a trail, if we go that way, eventually we’ll run into a road and if we go that way, we’ll eventually run into a good sized stream, which we follow down to a trail.” I tend to boundary up the untracked area I go into with surrounding trails or roads, so you know you’re never lost. Maybe you don’t know where you are, but you’re never lost.

Jim Morrison
    Spectator

@pliny

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There s always some “Risk Management”  You have to evaluate the risk and the reward or benefit.  It is a learning curve, or was for me for many years. Some of the best fun was to watch new people push the limits of their mountaineering skills and endurance and see the self confidence that resulted.   But as I get older I don’t as far or as fast as I used to.  I still very much enjoy getting out once a week, but as you get older perhaps it is a bell curve at least as far as distance and elevation gain go.

Thanks for the article and the pics.  You and your friend rock!

Jim

Yun Wang
    BPL Member

@yunwang0826yahoo-com-2

Thank you so much Maggie! It’s so inspiring to read articles from you. Cheering for your gains! I’m new to hike and doing it alone before it is safe to gather, just in need of encouragement like such from your sharing. Happy Thanksgiving and happy walking!

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Good essay by Maggie!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools